PDA

View Full Version : Green Vine Snake

Bibhav Behera
21-08-2014, 11:25 AM
Canon EOS 5D Mark III, 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM

SS 1/320
f/4
ISO 3200

Full Frame Image. Comments and critiques welcome.

Sabyasachi Patra
21-08-2014, 09:10 PM
Nice sighting. The depth of field is too shallow for my taste. Were you handholding or on tripod? Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Bibhav Behera
22-08-2014, 07:36 AM
Hi Sabyasachi, this was shot handheld. The intention behind shooting with a low DOF was to isolate the eye. I have ones with narrower apertures. Will post them soon.

Abhishek Jamalabad
22-08-2014, 09:00 AM
Nice attempt.
My view is that shallow DoF works better when the subject is parallel to the sensor. From an angle like in this image (I tried similar angles with various subjects myself), the OOF snout tends to become a distraction, being the closest/central element in the image; whereas if the subject is parallel to the sensor, the eye is the element closest to the sensor, with the focus fading away to the farther parts of the image, creating a pleasing graduated effect.

Just my opinion (plus the views of non-photographers I showed my images to). Wonder if this could be turned into a long discussion in the Photography Tips section... :)

TFS

Bibhav Behera
22-08-2014, 09:13 AM
I agree Abhishek, works best when done with the subject parallel to the sensor. The idea here was Just to purely isolate the details in the eye.

Bibhav Behera
22-08-2014, 09:15 AM
I agree Abhishek, works best when done with the subject parallel to the sensor. The idea here was Just to purely isolate the details in the eye. I do have a few with the head parallel to the sensor. Let me post them up next.