PDA

View Full Version : Paradise getting lost- Male GIB, Nannaj

Subhash Shrivastava
02-09-2014, 03:59 PM
Nikon P510, 1/500, f/5.9, 180 mm, ISO-280, 25% crop for better presentation.
Clicked in Nannaj GIB sanctuary on 31-Aug-14.

Sabyasachi Patra
03-09-2014, 05:57 PM
Lovely sighting. Nice to see this bird in its habitat. How many did you sight?
Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Mrudul Godbole
04-09-2014, 01:13 PM
Beautiful habitat. I liked the composition. Nice pose and good eye contact. The different colours of the grass give a nice feel to the image. Nicely captured. Thanks for sharing.

Subhash Shrivastava
05-09-2014, 11:09 PM
Dear Sabya and Mrudul; thanks for sharing your comments. This year there are only one female and one male in the Nannaj - Gangewadi area, and they have not been sighted together yet. In the core area where i have clicked this image only Male is coming for feeding daily and for display sometimes, but, alas, he is not finding any companion.

I was informed that the the last time the female was sighted was on 24-Aug in Gangewadi grasslands (about 25 kms from Nannaj, a new are being added to GIB sanctuary though it is mostly non forest land). So I was kinda of depressed that female gib would have been lost; when on 30-Aug-14, it appeared flying overhead when i was driving out of nannaj village. But it could not be ascertained where she is landing and feeding . I have requested forest personnel to give me a call if both male and female gibs start coming together.

Roopak Gangadharan
06-09-2014, 07:38 AM
lovely. apt title subash. Somehow any place without large trees is categorised as wasteland.Grasslands have a critical role to play in the eco balance of an entire region even beyond their immediate context. specalised habitats which support endemic and highly habitat sensitive forms of life get wiped out fast even with moderate disturbances. Longterm survival of many of our grassland species is doubtful unless there are sustained efforts to protect these habitats as a whole and restore the eco balance instead of being species centric.
Tfs
Roopak

Prasad Dingankar
07-09-2014, 10:40 AM
Lovely capture. This one is on my wish list. Hope to see it some day. Thanks for sharing & the detailed information.

Subhash Shrivastava
13-09-2014, 10:04 PM
dear Prasad, thanks for sharing your thoughts. if it's a dream for you, i would suggest that you make a dash to nannaj and realize it, we are running against time and are losing the race, the end is looming large.

Regards;