PDA

View Full Version : Red Marsh Glider Dragonfly

Abhishek Jamalabad
27-07-2009, 12:43 PM
This is another one from Karnala (near Mumbai)
Sorry, can't give you much info, except that this dragonfly is commonly seen in forest clearings and grasslands. I've seen it during and after the monsoons. Has a habit of often sitting on the tip of grass stalks with the tail held up vertically.
Camera Model Name Canon PowerShot SX10 IS
Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Tv (Shutter Speed) 1/125
Av (Aperture Value) 5.7
ISO Speed 200
Flash Off
Not in macro
Reduced brightness a bit. Slightly cropped for compo. More off centered compo needed?
Thanks, comments and critiques welcome.

Bibhav Behera
27-07-2009, 12:45 PM
That is a good image. You can try from other angles also.. a slightly more off centred compo would have worked better...

Sabyasachi Patra
27-07-2009, 02:17 PM
The head is sharp. The sticks in the background is kind of distracting. Agree with that an offcentre composition would have been better. I would move to the right and try to align it parallel to the body and hope for the wings to be up.

Abhishek Jamalabad
27-07-2009, 03:56 PM
This dragonfly was hardly sitting in one place for a long time. So I had to wait at one spot, then got this image. The moment I moved slightly, it kept flying off.
Sabyasachi, I do have a side-on shot, but for some reason the whole body isn't in focus...(Av is 5.7)...also that one has too much branch clutter. No chance of getting it with the wings up, though, dragonflies raise their wings only a fraction of a second before they take off! :D

Here is the same image with a slight crop from the right. Tell me what you think about it.

Mrudul Godbole
27-07-2009, 03:58 PM
Sharp. Nice colours and details on the body. You can crop a bit from the top and right.

Thanks for the information.Keep posting..

Rahul Parekh
27-07-2009, 09:28 PM
fantastic capture... :)

AB Apana
28-07-2009, 05:08 PM
Agree about the compo.

Apana