PDA

View Full Version : another Dhole

Rajan Kanagasabai
28-07-2009, 07:32 PM
This was at Kabini as well. The light here was extremely low. Increased the exposure by atleast 2 stops (+2) to get enough light in, though the shutter speed was way too low. To compund this, the tripod was too cumbersome to mount in the jeep and hence was handheld (rested on the jeep rails)

400D, APO 150-500, F6, 1/30, ISO 200, EC(+2)

regards
Rajan

Sabyasachi Patra
28-07-2009, 08:31 PM
Hi Rajan,
I think the dhole is in shadow and the top portion of the frame is lighted. It is better to have less difference in tonalities in a frame. The top portion has become bright and I would try to tone that down. Cropping from the top to remove a major part of the sunlit area may be considered.

What are those white patches in the background?

I am wondering about the +2 compensation. Did you use spot metering or Evaluative?

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Mrudul Godbole
28-07-2009, 10:13 PM
This is a favourite dhole pose. Agree with Sabyasachi about the lighting. I think the white patches in the BG look like spider web, not sure.

Rajan Kanagasabai
29-07-2009, 03:08 AM
Hi Sabyasachi

I did an evaluative metering here. Agree on the cropping, but for this trip, decided on 'all full frame shots :-)

The dhole in this picture as well as the pregnent lady were just at a right distance from the Jeep, just enough for the 500MM to be full extended to fill the frame.

Mrudul is right. They are actually web's which are holding a full load of early morning dew in them, giving out the gleaming look.

A stupid incident put an end to the Dhole filming. As i said earlier, the tripod was a bit crampy to be mounted and i had it folded and leaned at the rear. One nervous kid pushed it while i was filming and it fell out of jeep with a loud noise which had the entire family of dholes (around 7 of them) scurrying for cover into the bushes :-(

regards
Rajan

AB Apana
29-07-2009, 03:45 PM
Agree about the cropping. A bean bag might be more convenient for the jeep.

Apana