PDA

View Full Version : Jog Night Frog (Image #1- experimental lighting)

Abhishek Jamalabad
04-09-2014, 10:56 AM
Nyctibatrachus jog | Mookambika Wildlife Sanctuary, Karnataka

For this image, I was holding the camera vertical with the built-in flash on the left hand side. I liked the partly-shadowed effect produced by the light getting blocked by the leaf.
This is a male guarding an egg clutch, visible near its hind foot. The slightly bulging 'cheeks' of the frog are the vocal sacs (one on each side) that inflate out sideways when it calls. Did not get any photographs of the vocal sacs inflated, but did get some good audio records of the call. Will post them after editing, along with a more conventional well-lit image from a similar angle.

Canon 500D, Canon 100mm Macro USM
SS 1/200
Av 14
ISO 400
Cropped some empty space at the right

Thanks, C&C welcome

Mrudul Godbole
04-09-2014, 03:45 PM
I liked the composition and the details. The lighting has worked well here. The eggs can seen clearly. Very nicely captured. Look forward to more from the series. Thanks for sharing.

Sabyasachi Patra
05-09-2014, 10:26 AM
The eggs are seen clearly and give an impression of mystery. however the fore feet are not sharp due to depth of field issues which gives an impression of the image being soft. Slight bounce of the light from a white bounce card would have been even better. Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Roopak Gangadharan
11-09-2014, 08:53 AM
nice one abhishek..like the focus on the eye and egg clutch through the partial lighting.
TFS
Roopak