PDA

View Full Version : Old Canon 100-400mm Advisable?...

Rajbir Oberoi
05-09-2014, 06:47 PM
Hello, i am getting this one year old canon 100-400mm lense from this guy called Manu Sharma in delhi for 70k, he has a shop in chandni chow, first of all is it advisable to buy old lense?.. only you can help me with this... new one is for 1L, i will save 30k which is a lot of money

Abhishek Jamalabad
05-09-2014, 07:16 PM
Given that you have your mind set on the 100-400 (my assumption?) and that you're looking to save the 30k, you seem to have your answer already... :)
Buying brand new lenses is generally recommended because (a) you can be assured of the condition; (b) lenses don't depreciate in value or become obsolete or get exhausted as camera bodies tend to. If you are sure that this is the lens for your needs (not just at the moment but in the long run as well), I personally would suggest getting a brand new one. However, if you do choose to buy the used one, do examine every bit of the lens carefully.

One little thing worth considering- I'm not very sure if buying a second hand lens would affect your availing Canon's services in any way- but if it does, I would recommend against it if I may.

Sabyasachi Patra
07-09-2014, 08:29 AM
If the lens is only one year old and the current price is more than a lakh, then why is he selling at only 70 thousand rupees? 30% discount for a one year lens? Cameras depreciate. Lenses on the other hand retain their value. Remember that If it is too good to be true, than it is indeed too good to be true. :)

One needs to check a few things before buying a lens.

Is the lens clean or is it affected with fungus? Fungus affects the coatings and if the fungus is cleaned then you won't know how much damage the lens has undergone.

Canon India gives 2 years warranty. Ask him if the lens has got Canon India warranty. You need to know if it is a grey market lens.

If the lens has not been handled well, that is fallen down, bumped against a hard object etc, then the alignment goes off and you would get soft images.

Personally I would only buy a second hand lens from people whom I trust. Remember, ethics is not the strong point of many people.

Rajbir Oberoi
07-09-2014, 02:00 PM
thanks for your reply Mr Patra, yes it is from a grey market, and its in delhi, had it been in bombay i would have gone and checked personally, here i cannot even go and check, it has no warranty but he is giving 5 days return policy, i think i will go for a new one only...can you suggest anybody in Bombay to buy it from?...

Sabyasachi Patra
07-09-2014, 03:28 PM
Are you based in bombay? I know of a Canon India distributor who can deliver it to you in bombay. Whenever you want to buy, let me know and I will ask him to extend the best price. In the past I have helped several members buy 100-400, 500mm and many other equipment at good prices.

Rajbir Oberoi
07-09-2014, 04:08 PM
hello mr patra, thanks for all your help in this, would love to take it from some known person ideally, how much he will give it to me for?..let me know... waiting for your reply