PDA

View Full Version : Chital eyeshine

Abhishek Jamalabad
19-09-2014, 11:24 AM
This was an attempt to capture the naturally visible eyeshine from a herd of Chital in Masinagudi.

I had set up the camera on a GorillaPod and used my headlamp on low intensity (to minimise ambient light) to get the eyeshine. The eyeshine is visible at its brightest when the light source is close to the receptor (eyes/camera sensor). Accordingly, I held the lamp just above the lens (where the camera flash would be), directing a diffused beam on a dim setting towards the entire herd.
Although I captured what I had in mind, this image is far from perfect, and I am sure I can improve on the technique. Suggestions most welcome.

Canon 500D, Canon 18-55mm IS at 41mm
SS 15sec
Av 5
ISO 800
Cropped (since I had no clue how I was composing the original, having no reference points)
Adjustment brush used in lightroom to darken the foreground

Thanks, C&C welcome.

Mrudul Godbole
19-09-2014, 02:26 PM
You could capture the eye shine quite well. Did you try using a further higher ISO?

Some information about eye shine -
"Nocturnal mammals have a layer in their eyes that reflects light, called tapetum lucidum which is responsible for eyeshine. The tapetum cells reflect light back into the eyeball that would otherwise be lost into the skull, thereby increasing the amount of light the eye can use."

Thanks for sharing.

Sabyasachi Patra
20-09-2014, 11:21 AM
I think a bigger herd would have been better as that would have meant the entire breadth of the frame is filled. Keep on trying and this will get refined. Thanks for sharing.