PDA

View Full Version : Centipede with Eggs

Bibhav Behera
23-09-2014, 12:00 PM
We were on a trek in Agumbe looking for frogs. We found this centipede with eggs near a termite mound. This was the first time I noticed centipede eggs and how the female guards it.
We took a couple of frames and then left it without removing/moving anything around its habitat.

Canon EOS 5D mark III, 100mm Macro
SS 1/60
f/5.6
ISO 800

Abhishek Jamalabad
23-09-2014, 12:10 PM
Amazing image. Nice details. Myriapods (centipedes, millipedes and their relatives) are known to be caring parents. Was it possible to move a little to the right to minimise the OOF part at the top left? Is there a wee bit of shake? The green at the bottom right distracts a tiny bit, you might want to try cropping it.
In spite of the above nits I like this image a lot. It depicts a very significant aspect of this creature's behaviour that we tend to miss too often.

TFS

Bibhav Behera
23-09-2014, 02:33 PM
Hi Abhishek,
Agree on the cropping of the bottom part. The top OOF area is definitely distracting. This image needed much more DOF for sure.

Sabyasachi Patra
27-10-2014, 11:41 AM
Great scene. I agree that more depth of field would have been great here. The light was also low, so you had lower shutter speed. Bumping up the ISO would have helped. Nevertheless, great find. We don't often see this. Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Kaustuv Chatterjee
31-10-2014, 07:14 AM
This is such a special image....somehow the centipede's cradling pose with the eggs, give it that parental warmth and care and infuses a certain 'hermetically' sealed quality to the image of a perfect self contained world, if only for a moment, and existing in the experience of watching the photograph, only in my mind! Superlike