PDA

View Full Version : Lanternfly

Abhishek Jamalabad
25-09-2014, 05:23 PM
Pyrops delessertii, a species of planthopper from the Western Ghats. Clicked in Hosanagara, Karnataka.

Ever since I saw this species in an image posted by IndiaWilds member Vikram Gupchup in 2009, I had been wishfully waiting for it, and I recently encountered it after a five-year long wait. I found it by chance when I had gone out at night to photograph frogs, and the sight of this gorgeous creature excited me so much that I almost missed a frog just a couple of inches below it on the same tree trunk. :)
The name "lanternfly" is as much a misnomer as could possibly be. The "fly" in the name often confuses people; these are actually true bugs related to the Cicadas. The "lantern" in the name came from an age-old myth that the long projection on the head is luminous.

Canon 500D, Canon 100mm Macro USM
SS 1/200
Av 16
ISO 400
Full frame image
As it was raining at the time, I was handling an umbrella in addition to the camera, and found it difficult to compose the image properly and from a better angle. So I ended up with only a couple of record images.

Thanks, C&C welcome.

Prajwal J Ullal
26-09-2014, 03:06 PM
Amazing image with incredible details, how big are these lantern-flies? Never seen them in real life, hope to have a pleasant encounter with them :)

Mrudul Godbole
26-09-2014, 03:25 PM
Very interesting species. The projection on the head is quite unique. Good you could sight and photograph it after a long wait :). Good details. Thanks for sharing the detailed information.

Paramvir Singh
26-09-2014, 07:18 PM
beautiful. nature is so awesome.

Abhishek Jamalabad
27-09-2014, 05:46 PM
Thanks all.
Prajwal: This one was 2-2.5 inches long.

Sabyasachi Patra
27-09-2014, 10:48 PM
Amazing creature. I remember Vikram had posted an image of this long back. One can't forget such an unique creature. At what height did you find this creature? Only one or where there many of them? Thanks for sharing.

Roopak Gangadharan
01-10-2014, 04:15 PM
nice to see this species..very colourful and has a very intresting shape.
tfs
Roopak

Roopak Gangadharan
01-10-2014, 04:18 PM
nice to see this species.colourful and has an intresting head structure.
tfs
Roopak

Abhishek Jamalabad
01-10-2014, 04:25 PM
Thanks.
Sabyasachi- It was at about eye-level. There was only one, although these are often found in large groups.

Bibhav Behera
06-10-2014, 09:43 AM
I remember Vikram's image of this. Lovely to see this again. Thanks for sharing.

Kaustuv Chatterjee
31-10-2014, 07:15 AM
Wonderful capture of a gorgeous insect...never mind if its head is non luminiscent ��