PDA

View Full Version : Tansa Wildlife Sanctuary

Paramvir Singh
26-09-2014, 07:53 PM
Tansa is a beautiful wildlife sanctuary very close to Mumbai/Thane. Its almost 3 times the size of Sanjay Gandhi National Park, Borivali, Mumbai, but seems to have lost all or most of its leopards to poaching, habitat loss, human encroachment etc.

I visited Tansa in September/October last year, right after the monsoons. Not a good time for bird sightings (I did see a small flock of what looked like the Cinereous Tits), but plenty of butterflies, insects, wild flowers.

Nikon D800.

(An earlier morning would have been better, but I reached at this time only)

Mrudul Godbole
27-09-2014, 11:40 PM
Nice view. I have not been to this sanctuary :(. Its sad to hear that there are no leopards here. Talking of encroachments, have there been slums coming up around it? Do lot of people visit this place? Thanks for sharing the information.

Paramvir Singh
30-09-2014, 01:04 PM
Yeah, check Benoy Gupta's bog entry here. (http://www.binoygupta.com/travel_india/tansa-wildlife-sanctuary-indian-leopard-endangered-animals-preservation-binoy-gupta-an-indian-bureaucrats-diary-travelogue-on-india-225/) It seems in 2008, there was only one leopard here.

Debasis Bose
03-10-2014, 11:40 AM
Beautiful serene picture. Extinction is unavoidable, and the horizon of extinction is now glaringly visible. Humanity as a whole is consuming each year what it would take one and a half planets of earth to provide sustainability. TFS