PDA

View Full Version : Dollar Bird---Oriental Broad Billed Roller

Shyamala Kumar
30-09-2014, 08:07 PM
This was supposed to be one of Salim Ali favourite birds .Canon 60D+100-400mm 1/640s F/5.6 ISO2000 on a rainy morning at Thattekad in Kerala Sept 2014.

Mrudul Godbole
01-10-2014, 10:26 AM
Nice eye contact and perch. How are the sighting in Thattekad? Was it a bit foggy? Thanks for sharing.

Roopak Gangadharan
01-10-2014, 10:59 AM
nice you got it. one is more likely to miss spoting this one than see it.

TFS
Roopak

Sabyasachi Patra
01-10-2014, 05:26 PM
This is a lovely bird. The perch is nice. How tall was it? A bit more contrast would be of help. Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Shyamala Kumar
02-10-2014, 10:00 AM
Mrudul,Thattekad and,Dr Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary are all part of the same forest complex spreading over an area of 20sq km.This area is also interspersed with human habitation.During the time we were there it was raining intermittently and sighting was very poor.Also this had delayed the arrival of the migrants.Winter is best for bird sighting and photography.Yes, there is a mist too and I was knee deep in a stream of mud and water while photographing this bird.
Sabyasachi,this was a stout looking bird the size of a pigeon.It was perched on a tall rotting tree trunk at a very steep angle.

Sabyasachi Patra
03-10-2014, 11:25 AM
Yes, there is a mist too and I was knee deep in a stream of mud and water while photographing this bird.

No pain, No Gain.

I am highlighting this so that people interested in becoming wildlife photographers realise that it is not just rosy as it looks. It is not just aim and fire. One ought to position oneself. While filming for A Call in the Rainforest, I was severe problems arising out of leech and tick bites and was later treated in Apollo hospital.