PDA

View Full Version : Indian Giant Squirrel (Monochrome silhouette)

Abhishek Jamalabad
05-10-2014, 02:12 PM
Ratufa indica photographed in Masinagudi.

This is one of several images I made during a close encounter with these squirrels going about their day. At one point, two of them were barely an arm's distance away from me, and this sighting allowed me to make decent images with just 100mm of focal length. This one was clicked from a relatively greater distance towards the end of the sighting. Will post more soon.

Canon 500D, Canon 100mm Macro USM
SS 1/1250
Av 4.0
ISO 400
EC -1.3
Moderate crop

Thanks, C&C welcome.

Mrudul Godbole
05-10-2014, 03:23 PM
I liked the silhouette. The bushy tail looks nice. The curved branch adds to the composition. Good details. Look forward to more from the series. Thanks for sharing.

Sabyasachi Patra
08-10-2014, 09:31 PM
Good to know that you had close sightings.

The situation is tough here to expose correctly. In a silhouette the subject is between the camera and light and the exposure is such that the subject is rendered dark with the outline giving us a clue about its identity. In situations like the one posted here, the leaves are properly exposed. that goes against the concept of silhouette, as we know it. Did you desaturate a few colours? Thanks for sharing.

Roopak Gangadharan
10-10-2014, 10:55 AM
In some of the estates and resorts they have got used to humans and come quite close. there is one around a FD guest house in mudumalai which regularly barges into the store.

Thanks for the inputs patra sab...very critical while trying a silhouette i suppose.Will keep in mind when i try one next time.

TFS
Roopak