PDA

View Full Version : Variable Bush Frog

Abhishek Jamalabad
10-10-2014, 12:34 PM
Raorchestes akroparallagi | Sullia, Karnataka

This is a tiny bush frog found in the Western Ghats of Kerala and adjoining areas in the southernmost regions of Karnataka. We encountered this frog only at one location during the Karnataka survey- in Sullia, Dakshin Kannada district, where two individuals, both differently coloured were sighted. (The common name 'variable bush frog' comes from the various colour morphs of the species; akroparallagi is Greek for "extreme variation".)
The call is similar to that of R. tuberohumerus (which I had posted earlier) but is more rapid and distinctly higher pitched. Unfortunately I didn't record the audio. I shall subsequently post record images of the frog calling, as well as an image of a different morph.

Canon 500D, Canon 100mm Macro USM
SS 1/200
Av 16
ISO 400
Full frame image

Thanks, C&C welcome

Mrudul Godbole
10-10-2014, 05:04 PM
Didnt know, frogs can be so colourful :). Liked the eye contact, the colours and the details. Look forward to more from the series. Thanks for sharing.

Sabyasachi Patra
12-10-2014, 08:53 PM
Parts of its body looks like as if it is translucent. Interesting colour scheme this frog has. What was it's size? Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Abhishek Jamalabad
13-10-2014, 01:13 PM
Sabyasachi: It was a little under 2cm long.

Roopak Gangadharan
16-10-2014, 12:47 PM
nice. colouful with intresting patterns. don't remember having seen this one before

TFS
Roopak