PDA

View Full Version : Hello People!

Harshit Singh
10-10-2014, 12:58 PM
Hi! I am Harshit Singh! I'm an avid (fanatic could be more apt) birdwatcher and I'm doing my first year BSc. in Zoology at St. Xavier's, Mumbai though I'm really from Delhi.

Apart from birding I've been quite deep in Wildlife Filming and photography for quite some time now and learnt mostly from my uncle. However, only after a long time and finally when I had to make decision in grade 10 with my courses did I realize what I really wanted to do. I haven't looked back since then and have been involved more than anything in wildlife conservation (birds almost always though!) and along the sidelines in filming and photographing them pretty seriously.
I plan to take up a course in Wildlife filmmaking or Wildlife documentary after my BSc. (which I took up when I realized the BBC NHU doesn't give permanent jobs to anyone with a non biological science background XD - Having said that - it doesn't mean I don't enjoy studying zoology :D)

I was quite excited when I found a Indian Wildlife Filming community as I am pursuing the field seriously. [(Source: I watched the A Call in the Rainforest trailer and landed up here) - it's funny how I never came across it before!]

Being a student still - my gear is meager, though the heart isn't - I can say I know how to get the most out of what I have. In places where I can't venture yet, I choose to keep at bay for a while (such as Audio, in time I'll get something decent but for now instead of using the horror DSLR audio is I prefer to use background music and In line mikes with my PC for overlays rather than get natural sounds - I know I've been missing quite some stuff!)

I look forward to get along with people here both online and offline(in field!) and hope to learn more from all you people here at IndiaWilds!

Gear:
Video: Canon EOS 60D (with Magic Lantern v2.3) with Tamron 70-300mm LD (1992) with a Tamron 2x Teleconverter (Yes it is indeed very meager :D)

Canon EF 300mm f2.8L with 2x Extender (On a borrow basis from my Uncle but it is a rare thing honestly - doesn't mean though it isn't a great thing :D)

Canon EOS 350D ( B-body for photography)

and other stuff I'm in no mood to state unnecessarily :D

Mrudul Godbole
10-10-2014, 05:13 PM
Hi Harshit,

Welcome to IndiaWilds..!!

Its good to know you are so passionate about wildlife and planning to have a career in same. You have quite a decent gear :), as no amount of equipment can be enough. So it is best to make use of what you have and put it to the max use.

Look forward to see your photographs and share your views. Keep posting.. :).

Cheers,

Harshit Singh
11-10-2014, 04:17 PM
Indeed I'd agree with you on the last point and surely will be posting when possible :)

Sabyasachi Patra
14-10-2014, 10:02 AM
Harshit,
Welcome to IndiaWilds!

Good to know about your interests. Where did you watch the "A Call in the Rainforest"?

You should consider yourself to be fortunate as at this age you have access to DSLRs and lenses. I had bought my first manual focus SLR camera after joining my first job. It was not easy as I had to use the initial few months salary and also after sizeable borrowing from my friends. These days with DSLRs you can easily see the output and learn fast.

I only hope that you are not just taken in by the glamour of wildlife filmmaking. It is far from glamourous.

Since you are an avid birdwatcher, I am sure you can share your observations about bird behaviour on the various images posted by people.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Harshit Singh
14-10-2014, 01:57 PM
Hello Sir!
Honestly speaking, I haven't been able to watch it yet and only saw the trailer on YouTube before I found a link to IndiaWilds and came up here. I have made it a point to watch it in the near future though certainly!

And Indeed sir, I know what a huge difference that 'D' before the 'SLR' has made for people learning photography and video both in today's time - and that applies to my learning too.
Also, I know so many people my age who want to take up photography or would want to learn the basics and they don't even have point and shoot cameras, let alone DSLRs - this I say after leaving out today's wannabe camera phone inspired generation and only talk of the people with serious interest and potential.
Considering all of this, I truly believe I am quite fortunate to have what I have and even more than that, have my parents allow me to follow a career choice that I've made.

I also salute every photographer, regardless of experience, who has come from the film age - the effort that went into even starting up in a field like this back then and the amount of hard work that went into learning things that we learn on the digital medium in a matter of minutes - all of that is indeed commendable.

As for glamour, I'd indeed agree that it is the last thing that would be ever to come in Wildlife Filmmaking, The first thing I told my parents when I decided to do this was that they might as well believe I was a good-for-nothing kid and imagine that this is a lossy investment. It is a wonder that they allowed me to do this despite how gloomy I had always made it look to them, I couldn't be more grateful to anybody than them for all that they do for me and would keep on doing as I walk this path.
Wildlife isn't a fame or money opportunity for me, it is a passion that burns too hot to be contained within me, even if I don't get into filmmaking at the end, I'll be satisfied with working in any other wildlife related field. I have long ago forgotten expectations of some 'ideal' idea of prosperity and the only thing that excites me is sitting inside a hide or drudging along the wild path to see life forms that I innately want to see or film.

And certainly sir, I'll try to be of as much help as possible here on IndiaWilds and in turn hope to learn from all other people here. Guidance from everyone here is of great value.

Happy fielding and wildlife experiences!
Harshit Singh