PDA

View Full Version : Kolkass pheasant female

Kaustuv Chatterjee
21-10-2014, 03:42 PM
Pangot. We were scouting for the Cheer at Cheer point beyond Vinayak. A car came by with a couple, excitedly sharing their sighting of a Koklass pair crossing the road, just beyond a small weathered temple, up ahead. I decided to chance it and started up the path. Reaching the small temple, a small stone alcove, rhododendron strewn below a massive fir, I could see no signs. Decided to give it a last chance and walked up 100 mts or so, to the next bend. I was walking slowly taking in the mountain air and the solitude, when rounding the corner, happened on this female racing across the road and into some bushes on the right. I raced to the spot my heart pounding, and there it was hardly 15 ft away, on the slope of the hill incline. I could hardly make her out amidst the foliage, so good was her camouflage. She cocked her head checking me out for about half a minute and disappeared into the forest.

Shot with the Nikon D90, Nikkor 300mm + TC 14E, at 420mm, ISO 800, 1/125s - F/5.6

Sabyasachi Patra
22-10-2014, 10:23 AM
Great to see this bird. It is good that you got eye contact. The catchlight in the eye helps. I would love to see a male of the species. Hoping to go to Pangot in Nov when I am back in Delhi. Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Shyamala Kumar
22-10-2014, 01:52 PM
Lovely capture of a rarely seen species.Good eye contact.Great camouflage.These birds disappear so fast one is indeed lucky to have seen them, leave alone to have been able to photograph them.Thanks for sharing.

Saktipada Panigrahi
23-10-2014, 04:30 PM
Wonderful. These images will live long, inspire our next generations, for the habitat and camouflage included. Thanks for sharing. SaktiWild

Mrudul Godbole
24-10-2014, 09:57 AM
Rare sighting. Nice eye contact. Your effort paid off ☺. Thanks for sharing.

Roopak Gangadharan
30-10-2014, 11:13 AM
nice sighting. agree with comments above.

TFS
Roopak

Abhishek Jamalabad
30-10-2014, 04:28 PM
Very nice. Certainly not an easy bird to shoot. I narrowly missed a sighting at Tirthan (heard calls from very close while looking for Monals).

Kaustuv Chatterjee
04-11-2014, 06:58 AM
Thanks all...yes it was a sighting I was lucky enough in. Also my walk to the point and the way I got to see it truly lifted my spirits! By the way, on the way back had the good fortune to see a group of 4 great barbets cackling away...about 4-5 Himalayan griffons soaring quite close in the valley basin and like the proverbial cherry on top - came back to Cheer point to see my guide wildly gesticulating and there were the Cheer - a pair of them!! Will post their snaps shortly. So all in all one of those magical, it all happens today type days :)