PDA

View Full Version : Elephant in Bandipur

Mrudul Godbole
21-11-2014, 11:52 AM
Saw this behavior of this elephant grabbing the tree to eat in bandipur. It was quite interesting to watch. The light was quite bad so used a higher ISO 2500, still the the shutter speed was quite low :(. Photographed in Bandipur.

Canon 1D Mark IV, Canon 100-400mm L IS USM, ISO 2500, f6.3, 1/80, 100mm, hand held, full frame.

Comments and critiques welcome..

Sabyasachi Patra
21-11-2014, 04:47 PM
This scene happened as if in slow motion. The elephant was slowly walking and reached this place. And then slowly raised its trunk to break a few of these. I wonder how the elephants learn which all barks, fruits, roots, leaves etc are edible. I was thinking that you won't get this scene due to the low light.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Saktipada Panigrahi
21-11-2014, 07:39 PM
Nice to watch the elephant's rare feeding behaviour. The pose and composition nicely documented.

' The aerial roots of the banyan are much fancied, and regularly broken off at the level of the elephant's reach, as they regrow ' - wrote Krishnan.

Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

V S Sankar
22-11-2014, 08:24 AM
I am trying some fun here......How Mrudulji would have commented on this pic if it was not taken by her!....."The composition looks nice.Rare behaviour of the animal captured.A more wider frame to include the elephants tail would have been nice.Anyway nice picture".....

Fun apart.....Good pic Mrudulji.Seem to have had a nice time at Bandipur!

Regards

Shyamala Kumar
22-11-2014, 04:33 PM
Nice image.Like the almost ninety degrees angle of the trunk. Personally as the image is more about the action captured the fact that a part of the elephant is outside the frame does not bother me.Thanks for sharing

Mrudul Godbole
23-11-2014, 04:00 PM
Thanks all for the comments.

There is a tree on the right side of the frame, slightly visible in the frame, so the rear part of the elephants was not visible. It was also too close for my 100-400 lens so couldn't go for a wider composition. So at 100mm I composed to include only till the tree.

Agree with Sankarji :), I normally like to include the habitat and the full animal if possible.

Roopak Gangadharan
24-11-2014, 02:00 PM
A nice record of the animals diet. I have seen this twice once at balle in kabini about 4 years ago and once recently in the night at mudumalai, right next to a resort.

TFS
roopak

Vipin Sharma
24-11-2014, 08:38 PM
Nice behavior captured.

Jerin Dinesh
02-12-2014, 09:26 PM
nice click madam:thumbup1:

Murugan Anantharaman
05-12-2014, 11:24 AM
Nice behavior captured. Like the way in which its eyes are looking up. Thanks for sharing.