View Full Version : Brahminy Kite (Juvenile) in flight

Anup Ranadive
05-08-2009, 03:50 PM
Photo taken at IIT Bombay
Canon 40D and Canon 100-400 IS
Sports mode, ISO 400, F5.6, 1/800

Mrudul Godbole
05-08-2009, 04:06 PM
Beautifully captured. The details on the feathers are good. Sharp image. Liked the composition.

Look forward to more..

Abhishek Jamalabad
05-08-2009, 07:06 PM
Lovely image. Same comments as Mrudul.
First time I've seen a wildlife image taken in the preset sports mode.:)

Sabyasachi Patra
05-08-2009, 07:59 PM
Anup,
Nice first post.

I like the banking pose. No idea whether this is a full frame image or not. It is difficult to get full frame image of such a pose. Most often a wingtip is clipped here and there.

The background is nicely diffused, and the image pops up.

I would have pushed up the ISO. A higher shutter speed of around 1/1600 or 1/2000 would have been superb.

Why the sports mode?

You would then shot in jpeg and not raw mode. Raw mode gives the maximum latitude as Raw is a lossless compression. It is like a digital negative. So better to click in raw.

Most of the times, I am in Av mode, selecting the required aperture and the camera selects the shutter speed. If I see that the shutter speed is less, then I push up the ISO.

Look forward to more.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Bibhav Behera
05-08-2009, 10:19 PM
Hi,
Nice first post... lovely details and composition. the lighting is right and the head turn helps...
Thanks for sharing...
keep posting

AB Apana
06-08-2009, 06:17 AM
Hi Anup,

Welcome to the forum, a great first post and we look forward to seeing more.

Apana

Anup Ranadive
06-08-2009, 09:18 AM
Hi Sabyasachi,

Really appreciate your comments. Thanks very much.

Normally, I shoot in Raw+Jpeg at Av mode (moved from P mode), its only for the flight shots (so far) I favour Sports mode as I get high shutter speed.

Based on your suggestion, I'll try out Av mode for flight shots as well.

One ques - I can't open Raw files in Photoshop. Any idea how to do it?

Thanks very much.

Looking fwd to posting more pics on this amazing forum.

Anup

Anup,
Nice first post.

I like the banking pose. No idea whether this is a full frame image or not. It is difficult to get full frame image of such a pose. Most often a wingtip is clipped here and there.

The background is nicely diffused, and the image pops up.

I would have pushed up the ISO. A higher shutter speed of around 1/1600 or 1/2000 would have been superb.

Why the sports mode?

You would then shot in jpeg and not raw mode. Raw mode gives the maximum latitude as Raw is a lossless compression. It is like a digital negative. So better to click in raw.

Most of the times, I am in Av mode, selecting the required aperture and the camera selects the shutter speed. If I see that the shutter speed is less, then I push up the ISO.

Look forward to more.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

AB Apana
06-08-2009, 09:31 AM
RAW files from the 40D will not open in CS2. Not sure about CS3, but they will open in CS4.

You need to download the Adobe DNG converter and convert your RAW files to DNG files. They will then open in PS just like a RAW file.

Apana

Anup Ranadive
06-08-2009, 04:05 PM
Thanks very much Apana. I'll do that.
Anup

RAW files from the 40D will not open in CS2. Not sure about CS3, but they will open in CS4.

You need to download the Adobe DNG converter and convert your RAW files to DNG files. They will then open in PS just like a RAW file.

Apana

Sagar Patil
06-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Wow, what a catch.
Its rare angle.

Image is illusive for non wild life lovers, you can't easily identify which is upper body?

Chitrita Chatterjee
10-08-2009, 02:32 PM
absolutely beautiful...... thanks for posting this... love the colors and the angle at which the shot ws taken....

Rahul Parekh
11-08-2009, 06:51 PM
beautiful flight :)