PDA

View Full Version : Two Worlds!

Bibhav Behera
30-11-2014, 08:27 AM
Coral reefs are crucial for survival of a great number of species of marine life. Corals are very important in controlling how much carbon dioxide is in the ocean water. Coral polyp turns carbon dioxide in the water into a limestone shell. Without coral, the amount of carbon dioxide in the water would rise dramatically and that would affect all living things on Earth.

In addition, coral reefs are very important because they protect coasts from strong currents and waves by slowing down the water before it gets to the shore. That is why they are called barrier reefs. They provide a barrier between the ocean and the shore.

The Idea behind this shot was to show the two worlds in a single exposure image. This was shot in an island in the North Atoll of Maldives in the Indian Ocean. (Hope this Post qualifies for the forum)

Canon EOS 5D Mark III, 17-40 f/4L USM, Dicapac Waterproof Housing
SS 1/1000
f/10
ISO 800

Full Frame Image. Comments and critiques welcome.

Bibhav Behera
30-11-2014, 03:01 PM
PS: The fish you see in the image is a reef dweller called the Seargent Major. Pretty Common species and come very close to humans.

Sabyasachi Patra
30-11-2014, 06:27 PM
Good that you got a fish swimming near the corals. This has come out well. It would have been superb if the top portion showing the trees and sky would have come out clearly. Or perhaps this image shows that the ocean is more stable (despite our overexploitation) than the land and air.

I have never heard about this housing. How is it? The ratings in some of the housings are pretty generous and any water leakage related problems are to be borne by the person.

PS: Some time back we had decided to allow images from the Indian Subcontinent. So this image may be ok.

Bibhav Behera
30-11-2014, 10:51 PM
I do have images with the top portion clearer, but I liked this image due to the presence of the fish. I will post a couple more images from this series next.

I would not recommend using this housing as the front element of it has to be screwed on leaving it susceptible to leakages (happened on two occasions with me). Plus the front element is polycarbonate which reduces the image quality. It makes adjusting parameters quite difficult once the camera is set inside the housing. However for Rs. 7000/- its not fair to expect seacam/ikelite like usability.

It is ok for snorkeling although the pack cover states it can be used upto a depth of 5m.

Abhishek Jamalabad
01-12-2014, 10:12 AM
Very nice. The fish adds a lot to this image. Just wish those beach chairs weren't there, but you can't have everything your way.

Corals (and many other marine organisms) use dissolved carbon dioxide along with Calcium to build their Calcium carbonate skeletons. However, excess carbon dioxide and water form deadly carbonic acid. Though corals use and recycle dissolved carbon dioxide, the amount we are pumping into the atmosphere (and hence into the sea) is so huge that waters are turning acidic; corals and other shelled animals being unable to cope with it get killed, and we are throwing the cycle off balance. Acidic water has "bleached" and killed entire coral reefs and the ecosystems that flourished on them. Small shelled animals and plankton, that form the basis of marine ecosystems much as green plants do on land, are going down in number, spelling catastrophe for marine life at large.

Mrudul Godbole
01-12-2014, 11:08 AM
Nice view of both ecosystems. Nicely captured. Thanks for sharing the detailed information.