PDA

View Full Version : Rose Ringed Parakeet Pair

Abhishek Jamalabad
05-08-2009, 07:39 PM
Shot from my kitchen window (Mumbai)
A common parakeet also seen in city gardens and groves. Colouration is similar to the Alexandrine (large Indian ) Parakeet, but is distinguished by the much smaller size and absence of the maroon shoulder patch. Females lack the collar band that is seen in the males.
Camera Model Name Canon PowerShot SX10 IS
Shooting Mode Manual
Tv (Shutter Speed) 1/100
Av (Aperture Value) 8.0 (Is this too much? I used it to get both in focus...)
ISO Speed 200
Cropped.
It seems too soft to me. Don't know why.
Thanks for looking, C&C welcome.

Sabyasachi Patra
05-08-2009, 08:30 PM
Abhishek,
Good one. Great view. The focus seems to be on the bird in the background. You can seen the tree leaves also better focussed there, than the leaves or the bird in the front. Since you used f8, the front bird is covered a little bit as well.

Try to support your camera when you are clicking. That will help in increasing the sharpness.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Sagar Patil
05-08-2009, 09:54 PM
Nice shot that too from kitchen.
You can use Expo stop as (-) 0.3. It will help to avoid overexposing at some places. Like here on head.

Mrudul Godbole
05-08-2009, 10:20 PM
Nice composition. The yellow flowers add to the image. Thinking if a vertical composition would have worked.

Keep posting..

Abhishek Jamalabad
05-08-2009, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the comments and suggestions everyone.
Sabyasachi : I did rest the camera (partly) on the window ledge. That's why I don't know what caused the softness...
Sagar : I'm not sure, but I think Exp. comp. was somewhere between -1 and -2... I photographed this in manual mode, in this mode you cant control Exp. Comp. (at least not in my camera)
Mrudul : Sorry, no vertical, not of this one...:-(

AB Apana
06-08-2009, 06:20 AM
Abhishek,

Your shutter speed of 1/100 is too slow for these active birds. But it is still a nice image.

Apana

Abhishek Jamalabad
06-08-2009, 08:18 AM
Thanks Apana,
The light was tricky here, in fact it started raining a few minutes later. Av mode was giving me terribly overexposed images (somehow I forgot about changing exp. comp. :()
So I tried getting the correct exposure in manual mode. I do have some images with higher Tv, but they don't have the kind of compo and poses this one has.
One more thing, I find that graininess is higher when in Manual mode, even at sufficiently low ISOs. Any reason?