PDA

View Full Version : Purple Heron

Mangru Minz
01-12-2014, 10:20 PM
Image clicked at Bhopal,

Canon 7D, 300mm + 2x tc at f/8, 1/250 sec, Iso-400, exp bias +0.3, Cropped image. Too much cluster can't help.

Roopak Gangadharan
02-12-2014, 10:56 AM
Pls recheck the ID. you will be the best judge as you have seen this on the field. how does this bird compare in size to a purple heron?? Goliath heron is a very large and extremely rare bird in india. although i have not seen it, on comparison of images it seems much larger than this bird. The plumage is also different.This looks more like an immature purple heron.

TFS
Roopak

Saktipada Panigrahi
02-12-2014, 11:44 AM
Nice image. Roopak Bhai is correct. It is a Purple Heron. I may mention only one ID: Goliath Heron which are being seen in the Indian Sundarbans has blackish legs vis-a-vis yellowish legs of Purple Heron as seen in the above picture. Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Mrudul Godbole
02-12-2014, 11:57 AM
The vertical composition works well here with the long neck of the bird and the tall stalks in the background. The cluster doesn't distract as that is the natural habitat of the bird. There seems to loss of details in the bird. Thanks for sharing.

Abhirup Dutta Gupta
02-12-2014, 03:33 PM
Wonderful image..........

Mangru Minz
02-12-2014, 08:31 PM
Thanks Roopak, Mrudul , Shaktipada and abhirup . That's a immature purple heron , I have seen purple heron earlier in that place ,due to colour combination referring to salim ali's bird guide I was mistaken.

Thanks again.

Sabyasachi Patra
03-12-2014, 04:31 PM
The image should show us its habitat. We don't need a diffused background to make an image successful. If the depth of field is right then the background also comes into focus and tells us about its habitat. That is an important part of a story and one shouldn't worry about it as clutter. If there would have been a single branch passing behind its neck then it would have appeared to cutoff the head and hence be deemed as distracting. In this case, no single piece of vegetation in the background distracts or takes away out attention. More details would have been better. We can't often physically move into a lake. Nevertheless less/no crop is always better. Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi