PDA

View Full Version : Insect Id?

Sagar Patil
05-08-2009, 10:09 PM
Somebody help in recognition. Size of an insect is around 1.5 cm.
Shot at same place - Nagla Block

Sony H50 | AUTO | 1/60 | F 2.7 | 9.27 AM

AB Apana
06-08-2009, 06:09 AM
Can't help, I'm afraid, but you could try the InsectIndia group on Yahoo.

Apana

Abhishek Jamalabad
06-08-2009, 08:25 AM
Looks like a bombardier beetle to me. This is a very interesting insect. I had seen many of them once in a hotel room in Karnataka. I have some images if you would like to compare. You could check this link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombardier_beetle
When in macro, always use the highest aperture limit your camera can provide. Also try using flash, to get a dark BG.

Sabyasachi Patra
06-08-2009, 10:55 AM
Sagar,

Focus is slightly at the back and not on the head. Can't help with id. Cropping from the top would help.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Mrudul Godbole
06-08-2009, 02:23 PM
Nice details on the leaves. Agree about crop from the top. Maybe you can hold the camera firmly to get more sharpness.

Keep posting..

Bibhav Behera
06-08-2009, 02:27 PM
The focus seems to be on the body. Agree abt using a narrower aperture. the leaf patterns look good.

Sagar Patil
06-08-2009, 07:16 PM
Thanks all for suggestions.

Yes, Abhi its Bombardier Beetle, thanks for identifying it. The only thing is, I saw lots of images on Google Image, but all are having pattern of lines on their body. But this which I clicked has dotted pattern.

Yes I should use the flash, synchronized flash, right?

Abhishek Jamalabad
08-08-2009, 07:40 PM
Sagar, it's very difficult to identify insects very accurately, like by the body pattern. Usually you can get a rough ID based on the body structure only. :)
In macro, you need to use the flash with reduced flash exp. comp. (I almost always use -2 flash exp. comp. in macro) and adding a diffuser to the flash helps further by reducing overexposure. You can find many do-it-yourself flash diffusers on the net, I've tried some and they work really great.

The bombardier beetles have a curious defence mechanism of spraying an irritating chemical from the abdomen (it's there on the link). Never seen them do it, though :(