PDA

View Full Version : Lynx Spider threat display

Abhishek Jamalabad
08-08-2009, 08:04 PM
Shot this some weeks back on my terrace in Mumbai. Ran downstairs to get my camera, luckily it was still waiting :)
This is the typical spider threat display with the forelegs raised. No idea what it was threatening, though, there was nothing in that direction. :D

Camera Model Name Canon PowerShot SX10 IS
Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Tv (Shutter Speed) 1/320
Av (Aperture Value) 4.0 (Should have tried a higher Av...)
ISO Speed 200
AF Range Mode Super Macro
No flash used
Big crop. I feel this needs more PP, but I don't know exactly where.

Comments and critiques awaited, thanks for looking.

Bibhav Behera
08-08-2009, 10:35 PM
Good image. Try moving in a bit closer so that you dont have to crop much. :)

Sagar Patil
09-08-2009, 12:00 AM
Agree with Bibhav's talk.
White background at top-right may be distracting.
You can keep a small LED monochrome light torch with you, so we can lit the subject in low light condition.

Sabyasachi Patra
09-08-2009, 09:02 AM
Abhishek,
Good to see this behaviour. More green leaves would have been good in the background. You can try using reflectors to throw some light on the subject. You can use even plain cardboard sheets to do the same.

Here is the repost with slight tweaking.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Abhishek Jamalabad
09-08-2009, 09:16 AM
Sabyasachi, the repost is better, do mention what you did. There is some loss in IQ though, probably because it is a jpeg. I would like to know more about using reflectors.

Bibhav, I was very close to it, maybe a couple of cm away. I think I could have used macro with a little zoom.

I think I could have used flash to darken the wall behind...

Sagar Patil
09-08-2009, 06:24 PM
Abhishek, You must have seen, on a beach a group doing model photography. They use a circular white reflector to softly lit a girl's face if her back is facing the sun. This practice is very good than flash, and that too naturally.

Though I never seen a reflector which can be used here in wildlife (say Macro). May a piece of mirror may help :). Like what we used to irritate our friends in school days.

Sagar Patil
09-08-2009, 06:38 PM
Also some reflectors are there, which help in diverting your inbuilt flash light on close subject. It is a piece of some white paper, which it to be stick on flash body. And another part is handing against the flash slanted way.

Abhishek Jamalabad
09-08-2009, 06:47 PM
Sagar, I think a mirror would probably be too harsh...? Thanks anyway, I get the idea of a reflector...:)

Mrudul Godbole
09-08-2009, 07:04 PM
Nice close up. Maybe you can crop a bit from the top to avoid the wall.

Sabyasachi Patra
09-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Abhishek,
Don't get confused by the word reflectors. Just any reflecting surface would do. You can have some cardboards pasted with a white colour sheet. You can use thermocol (difficult to carry but you can do it in your garden). Better to use cardboard sheets and kind of enclose it from the sides. That will act as a wind shield as well.

These days, you find umbrellas with the inside surface painted silver colour. That can be used as well. Let your imagination run riot :D

For the repost, I used lightroom software. I brightened it, reduced the highlights and opened up the shadows a little bit. There is loss in IQ, as it is a small jpg and also because I uploaded about 60% quality. It is the standard that I follow, so the quality of your image got further lowered.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

AB Apana
10-08-2009, 11:09 AM
Nice image Abhishek. Shops do sell small reflectors which can be folded away.

Apana