PDA

View Full Version : calotes

Aditya Roy
08-08-2009, 10:29 PM
Calotes are lizards in the draconine clade of the family Agamidae. They are geographically restricted to South Asia, Myanmar and regions of Southeast Asia. The greatest diversity of the genus is from the Western Ghats and Northeast (India), Myanmar, and Sri Lanka. Calotes is distinguished from related genera in having uniform size dorsal scales, and lacking a fold of skin extending between the cheek and shoulder, and in having proportionately stronger limbs than Pseudocalotes. Comapared to Bronchocela, Calotes have a proportionately shorter tail and limbs. Calotes as we know it today was classified by Moody (1980) prior to which all of the above mentioned genera were included in this genus. The genus is still a heterogeneous group that may be divided into the C. versicolor and C. liocephalus groups. The former occurs through most of South Asia and further east. All species in this group have their dorsal and lateral scales directed upward. The latter is restricted to the southern Western Ghats and Sri Lanka. All species in this group have their scales directed back, or up and down, or down only

Scientific classification
Kingdom: Animalia

Phylum: Chordata

Class: Reptilia

Order: Squamata

Family: Agamidae

Subfamily: Draconinae

Genus: Calotes

Classification of genus Calotes

Calotes andamanensis
Calotes aurantolabium
Calotes bhutanensis
Calotes calotes, Green Garden Lizard
Calotes ceylonensis, Painted-lip Lizard
Calotes chincollium
Calotes desilvai
Calotes ellioti
Calotes emma, Forest Crested Lizard,
Calotes grandisquamis
Calotes htunwini
Calotes irawadi
Calotes jerdoni
Calotes kingdonwardi
Calotes liocephalus, Crestless Lizard
Calotes liolepis, Whistling Lizard
Calotes maria
Calotes medogensis
Calotes mystaceus
Calotes nemoricola
Calotes nigrigularis, Black Cheeked Lizard
Calotes nigrilabris
Calotes nigriplicatus
Calotes rouxii
Calotes versicolor, Common Garden Lizard, Changeable Lizard

Bibhav Behera
08-08-2009, 10:34 PM
Good image. would have worked better if you had moved lower a bit more..

Abhishek Jamalabad
09-08-2009, 09:20 AM
It looks a bit tight to me. Agree that you could have gone down lower. Nice colours though. I feel this is better than the other one.
Wondering whether you should avoid putting the owl icon near your name, it is kind of attention drawing... :)

Aditya Roy
09-08-2009, 10:38 AM
It looks a bit tight to me. Agree that you could have gone down lower. Nice colours though. I feel this is better than the other one.
Wondering whether you should avoid putting the owl icon near your name, it is kind of attention drawing... :)

thanks a lot for your comments. the owl icon is a logo that i put in all my pics... going down was not possible because the lizard was on a wire fence and i was clicking it fro a window...:(

Aditya Roy
09-08-2009, 10:39 AM
thanks a lot

AB Apana
10-08-2009, 11:20 AM
Correct on the ID, you should have included the whole of the tail.

Apana

Sabyasachi Patra
10-08-2009, 11:23 AM
Aditya,
I would have loved a narrow aperture to bring the hind legs in focus. I wish you had the full tail. If you want to show details, then zooming in to just show the head would be good. Else, the complete lizard.

Some more space at the top would have been better. I agree with Bibhav regarding the obtrusive logo. In the other image, the logo is near the face. That is much more distracting.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi