PDA

View Full Version : LRK Diary Feb-15

Vipin Sharma
21-02-2015, 09:41 AM
Pallied Harrier:
LRK , 09/02/15
This is a almost full frame shot , very minimal crop.
Shot in late evening using tripod. Surprisingly harriers are very shy and elusive and flies away the moment they see any human activities , but In LRK there is a place near to water body where these beauties will come over and sit on ground at around 5:00pm in evening and will allow close approach to them , this include Marsh harrier , Montuga's harrier and Pallied harrier.
This species is known to be undergoing steep population decline in Europe, although numbers in its Asiatic strongholds are thought to be more stable. Thus it is probably experiencing a moderately rapid population decline overall, and consequently it is categorized as Near Threatened.
Canon 7D EOS , Canon 300mm f/4, +0.3 step , 1/250 , ISO-500 , f/4.

Saktipada Panigrahi
21-02-2015, 12:48 PM
Nice close-up. Lovely eyes and hook of the bill. I like the white eye stripe/band. Thanks for sharing. SaktiWild

Roopak Gangadharan
21-02-2015, 08:21 PM
nice close up. good eye contact . Looks like a female montagu's harrier to me.
TFS
Roopak

Vipin Sharma
21-02-2015, 09:23 PM
Thanks Saktipada Panigrahi & Roopak for your kind comments.
Yes Roopak I too bit confuse over ID.
Experts please cnfrm If this really is female montagu's harrier .

Rajbir Oberoi
21-02-2015, 11:56 PM
nice one sir, u r lucky u got him so close...TFS

Mrudul Godbole
22-02-2015, 06:32 PM
I agree with Roopak, it is a Female Montagu's Harrier. The distinguishing point between Pallid Harrier and Montagu Harrier is that in the later the wing tip reaches the tail-tip and the legs are shorter. Nice eye contact. Thanks for sharing.

Vipin Sharma
24-02-2015, 01:12 PM
Thnx Mrudul Ji & Roopak for confirming the ID.

Sabyasachi Patra
25-02-2015, 01:36 PM
Female Pallid Harrier is different from Female Montagu's Harrier (above photo) "by more conspicuous narrow pale rim to facial disk (complete around throat), and usually darker cheek-patch; thighs diffusely spotted rufous(vs finely streaked)." Quoted from Birds of South Asia The Ripley Guide by Pamela C. Rasmussen and John C. Anderton. page 76

Shyamala Kumar
26-02-2015, 07:41 PM
Lovely capture of a rarely seen raptor.Nice details and colors.Thanks for sharing.