PDA

View Full Version : Painted Francolin or Painted Partridge

Rajbir Oberoi
24-02-2015, 03:42 AM
Rarest of rare

Also known as Painted Partridge, they are easily detected by their loud calls especially during the breeding season. It can be confused only with the black francolin with which it partly overlaps and is said to sometimes hybridize. This species is endemic to the Indian Subcontinent. It is distributed patchily from Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh south into peninsular India and in Sri Lanka. However, they are not easy to spot which makes them rare. This bird appears in a 4.50 rupee Sri Lankan postal stamp.

Canon 5D Mark III + Canon 100-400
ISO 1000, F/5.6, 1/1000s @ 400mm
Dec 2014 — at Blackbuck National Park, Velavadar.

Paramvir Singh
24-02-2015, 08:34 AM
Hey wow. Nice sighting... I had seen a small family of grey francoli a in velavadar. Couldn't photograph them, they hid in the bushes, and I felt best not to disturb them.

Mrudul Godbole
25-02-2015, 02:40 PM
Nice sighting. It is a very shy bird and difficult to spot. A slight head turn would have helped to enhance the eye contact and also get the eye in light. Was this photographed from a gypsy? Thanks for sharing.

Rajbir Oberoi
25-02-2015, 03:32 PM
thanks mrudul & Paramvir, yes i wish i would have got the eye contact but as u said they are very shy, it ran inside the bushes immediately after this shot, yes its clicked from gypsy, no time to get down and settle to click this bird especially :)