PDA

View Full Version : Water monitor lizard on the tree

Abhirup Dutta Gupta
17-03-2015, 12:43 PM
CANON 60D,SIGMA 150-500 MM OS, 20% CROP.No vertical available.In Bhitarkanika,Dangmal,Orissa.

Mrudul Godbole
17-03-2015, 02:00 PM
Recently in Sunderbans we sighted a water monitor resting on a tree. Nice to see this one climbing a coconut tree. From which side is this image cropped? Can you please post the original image to compare. Thanks for sharing.

Saktipada Panigrahi
18-03-2015, 09:44 AM
Nice details. May be 5-6 feet long. Just I am looking at the claws.
Even with such claws, it is normally no match for an adult Fishing Cat of the Sundarbans!
Thanks for sharing. SaktiWild

Roopak Gangadharan
18-03-2015, 04:33 PM
Nice... they regularly raid bird and squirrel nests on trees and are good climbers...the trouble starts when they have to come down in a hurry. I saw one simply drop itself on the ground from a height of over 15 feet on seeing me.

TFS
Roopak

Sabyasachi Patra
19-03-2015, 11:32 AM
Abhirup,
You may make a conscious mental note of the need to click images in vertical orientation. At times for editorial purposes, a vertical would be more useful.

Nice to see a monitor lizard climbing up a coconut tree. One can realise from this image why it would have climbed up a tree, as Roopak mentions. On another note, I guess it would be hilarious to see a monitor lizard scamper down/fall from a tree. As far as climbing down a tree is concerned, apart from the leopard, I have found sloth bears to be lightening quick. Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Debasis Bose
20-03-2015, 05:08 AM
Nice capture, I am yet to see a monitor lizard climbing a tree