PDA

View Full Version : First Recorded Sighting of Paradise Flycatcher at Barddhaman

Sandipan Ghosh
08-05-2015, 06:27 PM
It is very popular that many bird photographers are keen to take great snaps of Asian Paradise Flycatcher in the Indian forest. Many people say that seeing this beautiful bird is happened once in a lifetime. In the Piyali Island of Sunderbans, this species is quit widely found. But in the records, this flycatcher is first time clicked in the Siphon of Eden Canal, near Barddhaman town, West Bengal. In my visits I have clicked several times the male (white morphs) and female at this spot. It is found that the Siphon of Eden Canal is an emerging bird watching site in Barddhaman in terms of species richness. A click of this bird is herewith.
Date: 26/04/2015
Camera: Canon EOS 600D
Focal Length: 250 mm (Canon EF 55-250 mm lens)
Shutter Speed: 1/500 sec
Aperture: f/5.6
ISO: 1600

Roopak Gangadharan
08-05-2015, 06:44 PM
Hi sandipan,

Nice to see this. you are saying the bird is rare in west bengal or in the barddhaman area??

Rgds
Roopak

Sandipan Ghosh
09-05-2015, 11:53 AM
It is very uncommon sighting in Barddhaman area. According to my experience and other opinions this bird is not previously recorded from this zone. Most of the bird watchers are surprised to see my click. It is found in deltas of Sundarbans, CKBS-Kolkata and other woodland areas of Delta plains, West Bengal. Thanks for your comment....

Sabyasachi Patra
09-05-2015, 02:17 PM
You got a clear view of the bird without intervening branches. Eye contact is fine. It is interesting to hear that this bird is uncommon in your area. How big is this eden canal area?

Sandipan Ghosh
09-05-2015, 02:43 PM
Yes, it is rarely found in our area. The Eden Canal is approximately 3 to 4 km long. A google image (with locations) is depicted here.

Debasis Bose
09-05-2015, 05:51 PM
Beautiful image.