PDA

View Full Version : Mission Kakatiya in Telangana

Roopak Gangadharan
18-05-2015, 01:27 PM
I have been following the progress of this laudable initiative from the KCR govt in Telangana mostly through press reports and advertorials, the publicity and propaganda apart it will be interesting to know the actual ground realities in implementation and sustenance of this project which at least theoretically sounds to be a panacea for many of the evils which haunt the agri sector and rural economies of the newly formed state.

The success of this initiative I feel will help drive similar initiatives in many other states as protecting inland water bodies is one of the most commonly ignored long term water management strategies in India. The economic, ecological and social benefits of this simple strategy seems some how lost out on our brilliant policy think tanks. Hope this will be on of those starts where we if I may use the word, regress to techniques which are simple, eco-friendly and sustainable.

Subash I suppose you must have been following this initiative keenly, as we know your intrest in the health of the water tanks in Telangana. Any takes on this and how it is getting implemented on the ground? It will be great to hear from our members in Telangana on this.

Rgds
Roopak

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission_Kakatiya

Mission Kakatiya with tagline మన ఊరు మన చెరువు is a program of restoring all the tanks and lakes in Telangana State, India.The Program was inaugurated on 12 March 2015 by chief minister Kalvakuntla Chandrashekar Rao.[2] The name Mission Kakatiya is given in the remembrance and tribute to the Kakatiya rulers who developed large number of the irrigation tanks.

This program initiated by Chief Minister of Telangana Mr. Kalvakuntla Chandrashekar Rao (KCR). As part of this, government identified 45,000+ tanks and lakes in a special intensive survey on minor irrigation tanks. Government planning to restore all these tanks and lake which is expected to cost Rs.20,000 crore over the next five years. By restoring almost all the tanks,as much as 250~270 TMC of water is available for agricultural,irrigational,live stock and Drinking water needs. This program was started in third week of December 2014.

http://www.telangana.gov.in/news/2014/12/09/mission-kakatiya