PDA

View Full Version : Raorchestes ponmudi (Ponmudi Bush Frog)

Abhishek Jamalabad
29-07-2015, 12:47 PM
Even after waiting in the undergrowth with my torch switched off and pinpointing the location of this male from its calls, I had to spend some time beating around the bush :) thanks to that clever choice of perch - the inside of a curled-up dead leaf. These frogs generally call from at least 2 m up tree trunks and tall bushes. During a recent trip to Agumbe with Bibhav, we were lucky to find several of these at much lower heights.

Canon 500D, Canon 100 mm Macro USM
SS 1/200
Av 16
ISO 400
Cropped for composition

Thanks, C&C welcome.

Sabyasachi Patra
29-07-2015, 10:19 PM
Very interesting. Looks like as if it is inside a clamshell. What was the time when you clicked? How many of these were calling? Did you record the call? Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Abhishek Jamalabad
30-07-2015, 11:46 AM
Not very sure about the time as my camera seems to have recorded it wrong, but I guess it was around 9:00 pm. I estimate that there were about 10-12 calling in all, within this forest patch. Could not record this time as I wasn't carrying my phone due to the rain, but I have an older recording. Will share it soon.

Roopak Gangadharan
30-07-2015, 07:47 PM
Nice to see this. was it discovered at Ponmudi ?? pls do share the call ..wud like to hear it.
TFS
Roopak

Abhishek Jamalabad
31-07-2015, 10:54 AM
Roopak: Yes, it was first described from Ponmudi hill. It is found in mid-elevation regions southwards from southern Karnataka. Quite common in the hills around Coorg and Chikmagalur, where I've encountered them most frequently.

Mrudul Godbole
31-07-2015, 04:11 PM
Nice sighting. Good details. Could you try any lower angles? Thanks for sharing.