PDA

View Full Version : Ponmudi Bush Frog #2 | Raorchestes ponmudi

Abhishek Jamalabad
05-08-2015, 04:13 PM
Raorchestes ponmudi - another individual sighted during a recent trip to Agumbe. Note the pale brown colour of this individual compared to the one in the previous post. Many bush frogs tend to exhibit extreme variations in colouration even within the same region or forest patch. Here it is only the shade of brown, but sometimes even the marking patterns and primary colours vary.

This individual was very close to the ground (I was actually sitting on the ground to get an eye level shot), rather unusual for this species which generally calls from heights of about 2 m up tree trunks. Most of the individuals I sighted were at low levels, not sure why. The vegetation in this area would easily allow for higher perches.

I was waiting in the dark inside dense undergrowth for this guy to call, but only managed this shot when he just started calling. It then started drizzling, and by the time he started calling at full volume, it was raining heavily. I had not carried my umbrella as the dense vegetation wouldn't allow it, and had left it on the nearest path. I made a mad dash to that path, but was soaked (in spite of my rain gear) by the time I got to my umbrella. Fortunately, a ziploc bag borrowed from Bibhav saved my camera.

Canon 500D, Canon 100 mm Macro USM
SS 1/200
Av 16
ISO 400

Thanks, C&C welcome.

Mrudul Godbole
05-08-2015, 10:17 PM
Lovely details. Nice eye contact. I liked the hanging water drop on the right :). Your efforts paid off :thumbup:. Thanks for sharing.

Sabyasachi Patra
15-08-2015, 11:25 AM
I like the composition. The direct camera flash looks a bit harsh. As noted by Mrudul, the droplet tells us about the weather and adds to the image. Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi