PDA

View Full Version : Goan Fejervarya (Fejervarya gomantaki)

Abhishek Jamalabad
10-08-2015, 12:18 PM
This frog was described only three days ago (on 7th August 2015).

I have been seeing and photographing this species for the past few months, and until this description was out, I thought I had been photographing the Sahyadri Minervarya. The new species has few external features that distinguish it from the Minervarya and the call is almost identical, but it has an entirely separate distribution range, restricted to Goa and a part of Belgaum, in low to mid elevation areas (Minervarya sahyadris is found southwards from Shimoga in Karnataka). The preferred microhabitat is puddles, fields and roadside grassy areas.

Canon 500 D, Canon 100 mm Macro USM
SS 1/200
Av 16
ISO 400

A link to the details of the original paper (contact corresponding author for a full version): www.mapress.com/zootaxa/2015/f/z03999p094f.pdf (http://www.mapress.com/zootaxa/2015/f/z03999p094f.pdf)

Mrudul Godbole
12-08-2015, 11:32 AM
Good details. Nice to see it in its habitat. How did you realise that this frog was from a different species? You compared the photographs taken? Thanks for sharing the details. Look forward to more.

Abhishek Jamalabad
12-08-2015, 03:33 PM
How did you realise that this frog was from a different species? You compared the photographs taken?

Minervarya sahyadris is not found in Goa according to the new paper. There are visible differences when the images are compared, but those didn't come to my notice immediately. :)

Sabyasachi Patra
15-08-2015, 11:30 AM
Interesting. This shows how less is our knowledge and how much more research effort should be directed to document our wildlife and wilderness areas. Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Abhishek Jamalabad
15-08-2015, 11:42 AM
This shows how less is our knowledge and how much more research effort should be directed to document our wildlife and wilderness areas.

I fully agree, and this is especially true of lesser known fauna such as the amphibians. Minervarya sahyadris was listed as endangered (IUCN 2004) due to its restricted range and degrading habitat. With the new species being split off from it, the conservation status of both these species is no doubt in urgent need of re-assessment and possibly upgradation.