PDA

View Full Version : Fiddler crab

Vishal Bhave
18-08-2009, 12:56 AM
Size: 8-10 cm wide
Place: Dadar Seaface (Atleast Last 2 yrs.)
Genus: Uca (:confused:)
Common

EXIF :
Manufacturer = NIKON
Model = COOLPIX S4
Exposure Time = 1/580 sec [0.002]
ISO Speed Ratings = 50
Max. Aperture Value = 36/10
Focal Length = 10.50 mm
Focal Length in 35mm Film = 63 mm

Bibhav Behera
18-08-2009, 03:36 AM
Nice one. The focus seems a bit off from the body... (read Claws)

Abhishek Jamalabad
18-08-2009, 08:56 AM
Nice one, one of my favourite creatures :)... Bibhav has already pointed out the focus issue. I also feel it's a bit tight, in case this is a crop, do post it with more space on all sides.
Didn't know these were there at Dadar... But I've never noticed mangroves in Dadar...these are usually found in mangroves, right? Guess I'll have to visit the place to check it out. :)

Vishal Bhave
18-08-2009, 10:38 AM
Proper on Sandy-muddy beach of Dadar- Opposite Kirti Collage

AB Apana
18-08-2009, 12:22 PM
Agree about the focus, the large claw is very hot and needs to be toned down a bit.

Apana

Mrudul Godbole
18-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Liked the frontal view with the large claw. More space would have added to the composition.

Look forward to more..

Sagar Patil
18-08-2009, 05:26 PM
Not necessarily in mangroves. I have seen fiddler at back side of Haji Ali Dargah also.

It is very sad to say that, the place which Vishal has mentioned i.e. Dadar chaupaty near Kirti College has constant supply of waste water from Dadar West area into the sea and I am sure there will no aquatic variety in this area.
And crabs are strong to adopt anywhere.

Vishal Bhave
18-08-2009, 06:35 PM
Have u been to this area at low tide
You can see atleast 6-8 common waders, Sabellids and other polychaets, Many type of molluscs, atleast a species of anemone (3-4 cm diameter) and if you get any chance to walk from the starting of Bandra tip - Below the Bandra-worli sealink you might get some gorgonids washed off, many sponges, Bryozoans, cnidarians, crustaceans, morrays, Sea wrasses, Eggs of mollusca also some Sea slugs and much more can be seen depending upon frequency , season and tides at visit.

So, no doubt diversity is lost but it is replaced by sturdy species.
Pls. do visit bandra tip u will get astonished by observing marine sponges and fishes their.
Thanks !

Abhishek Jamalabad
20-08-2009, 09:46 AM
Vishal I can't believe what you're saying. I'm off to the place as soon as I get the time, it's barely 20 mins by vehicle from where I stay! :D