PDA

View Full Version : Black-crowned Night Heron

Sandipan Ghosh
28-08-2015, 05:26 PM
Black-crowned Night Herons are associated with large wetlands. They inhabit a variety of wetland habitats such as swamps, streams, rivers, marshes, mud flats and the edges of lakes. The fact that this night heron feeds throughout the night means that it avoids competition with day herons which use the same habitat.
Place - Parui, Barddhaman, WB
Date Taken: Aug 12, 2015
Camera: Canon EOS 600D
Focal Length: 250 mm
Shutter Speed: 1/640 sec
Aperture: f/5.6
ISO: 400

Subhash Shrivastava
28-08-2015, 09:07 PM
wow, elusive night heron in day time! How did you get it. Thanks for sharing.

Shyamala Kumar
31-08-2015, 09:22 AM
Nice capture and very informative write up.Never seen this bird before.Thanks for sharing.

Mrudul Godbole
31-08-2015, 10:19 AM
Nice sighting. Waiting just a bit longer to get its head turned more towards you would have enhanced the eye contact. As the light was good, you could have tried using a narrower aperture to get more details. Thanks for sharing the detailed information. Look forward to more.

Sandipan Ghosh
31-08-2015, 02:41 PM
Many many thanks to Subhash Shrivastava, Shyamala Kumar and Mrudul Godbole.......for their comments and great suggestions.....I am trying my level best to click the shots of Indian birds with my limited technology (DSLR and Lens)....but your suggestions really enhance my photography day by day....

Sabyasachi Patra
01-09-2015, 04:33 PM
Your 250mm max length of lens is short for birds if you just chase them, like everyone else. Set up a hide, even a rudimentary one made with gunny bag, and you will find them pretty close. However that will require lot of patience. If the bird is far off then you will never get lot of details in your image.

Waiting for the bird to turn its head would have given you a better eye contact and a more pleasing image. The saturation is on the higher side.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Saktipada Panigrahi
01-09-2015, 06:29 PM
Nice sighting. This is rarely seen. Once a Night Heron used to live throughout the day on a particular tree in Central Kolkata after its night activities in the wetlands, may be eastern wetlands still protected to a large extent.
Occasionally it enjoys sound sleep in night, when hunting is good in the evening, Krishnan has observed. Thanks for sharing. SaktiWild

Sandipan Ghosh
01-09-2015, 09:46 PM
Really I am enhanced by your guidance Sir. S. PATRA

Sandipan Ghosh
01-09-2015, 09:47 PM
Yes you are right S. PANIGRAHI......nowadyas it is hard to find

Samrat Sarkar
07-09-2015, 01:53 PM
lovely..thanks for sharing...
Samrat

Sandipan Ghosh
07-09-2015, 05:12 PM