PDA

View Full Version : Threat to Pheasant-tailed Jacana

Sandipan Ghosh
31-08-2015, 03:32 PM
Pheasant-tailed Jacana is one of major attractions in the wetlands of West Bengal during this monsoon to see the breeding plumage. Now I want to share something with you.
Jacanas are identifiable by their huge feet and claws which enable them to walk on floating vegetation in shallow lakes, their preferred habitat.These jacanas breed on floating vegetation from March to August. It is found that they are not found in the clean ponds or lakes but usually they prefer shallow water with vegetation (e.g. Lotus). Unfortunately this type of habitat is now destroyed due to urbanization, agriculture and fishing. So there is a high chance of decreasing population in West Bengal.
I have spotted a habitat of this bird (one pair) at Palla village, just on the point bar of Damodar River (left bank), Barddhaman, West Bengal. Local people are quite aware about this bird but the habitat is surrounded by the paddy fields (i.e. main livelihood base of rural people). So there is a threat of land use conversion and human interference in this wetland habitat. I don't know that how long they will stay there. I have managed to get a distant shot for record without disturbing this shy bird.
Date: 30/08/2015
Camera: Canon EOS 600D
Focal Length: 250 mm
Shutter Speed: 1/1250 sec
Aperture: f/6.3
ISO: 400

Roopak Gangadharan
31-08-2015, 06:49 PM
Nice. they are increasingly becoming hard to find these days.
TFS
Roopak

Shyamala Kumar
01-09-2015, 09:07 AM
Very welcome region specific information regarding the threat to the survival of these birds in west Bengal. Even though it is a distant shot one can see it is a beautiful bird. Thanks for sharing.

Sabyasachi Patra
01-09-2015, 04:46 PM
Nice to see this jackana. A decade back they used to be sighted from my house in bhubaneshwar. Soon the marsh area died due to dumping of construction debris and water level also went down. Now it is runover with hyacinth and it is dead.

Did you sight their nest building? Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Sandipan Ghosh
01-09-2015, 09:35 PM
Sir. S. PATRA....Yes they are hard to find nowadays..... I have located the nesting habitat there......

Sandipan Ghosh
01-09-2015, 09:35 PM
Thanksss a lot... Sir.. S. Kumar

Sandipan Ghosh
01-09-2015, 09:37 PM
Around Barddhaman town....it is not found....Sir. R. GANGADHARAN....in this monsoon I found it in Rajarhat, Kolkata...