PDA

View Full Version : Insect ID ?

Rajan Kanagasabai
18-08-2009, 09:22 PM
I'm no good with insects, but daughty keeps shooting at anything that moves . . . .

400D, Canon 70-300, F 7, 1/400, ISO 400 @ 300mm handheld

regards
Rajan

P.S.: Mrudul, she reads every line of the reviews. Waiting for her to complete her 10th exams and will create an ID for her :-)

Vikram Gupchup
18-08-2009, 09:40 PM
Is it a Katydid ?

Abhishek Jamalabad
18-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Yes, a katydid, I believe. Identified by the very long antennae and, by my observations, the usually outstretched hind legs, as compared to the tightly tucked in ones of grasshoppers.

An aperture value as high as possible helps in these shots, to get the whole body in focus. Use of low output flash with a diffuser also helps.

Good to know there's another insect photographer coming up...

Sagar Patil
18-08-2009, 11:25 PM
Nice shot. Where this is created?

I am confused with use of full 300 mm ..!!

Rajan Kanagasabai
19-08-2009, 07:01 AM
Wow, Katydid, did'nt even know such a name existed. Thanks Vikram and Abhishek for enlightening me.

Sagar: She says she pictured this at my Brother in law's house within the IIT campus and according to her, this was quite large and did not want to get near it. In fact she deliberately switched from a kit lens to a 70-300 to stay as far away as possible from it :-) (i guess that is the kiddy part of it . . .)

regards
Rajan

Mrudul Godbole
19-08-2009, 01:34 PM
Hi Vaishnavi,

Loved the composition and the lighting. The low angle enhances the image further. Nice clear BG. As Abhishek has mentioned, next time try for a higher aperture like f8 to get the whole insect in focus.

Look forward to more... (concentrate on studies as well) :).

Bibhav Behera
19-08-2009, 06:36 PM
Hi Vaishnavi,
It is sharp. the light is also nice... and as pointed out by Mrudul (aunty :p) you can increase the aperture number...

Sagar Patil
19-08-2009, 08:30 PM
Ya, now I got the scenario. I also used to get threatened to see something like in the home. Creatures look more cute in the jungle than in the home.

Lolz.... :D :D .. Mrudul Aunty. Hope no more stretching of this joke... :D

Bibhav Behera
20-08-2009, 07:59 PM
Mrudul and I were having a discussion whether it is right to call her aunty and came to the conclusion that since it is Vaishnavi in question, we should let her decide... What say Vaishnavi?

PS: If it is a NO, then you guys can definitely say R.I.P. Bibhav :D :D (coz Mrudul is going to hunt me down)

Rajan Kanagasabai
20-08-2009, 08:12 PM
I shall meet up with all of you after my exams and decide. For now, thanks to all for the advices.

regards

Vaishu