PDA

View Full Version : SUNDARBANS:Sudhanyakhali Watch Tower: KING COBRA: April 2010

Saktipada Panigrahi
09-10-2015, 03:30 PM
Canon EOS300: 75-300mm. Kodak 200, Scanned : For record purpose only.

Saktipada Panigrahi
10-10-2015, 11:29 AM
I have got the image sharpened a bit and posting again. I could locate the snake and when I was about click I was pushed by someone accompanying a group of foreigners with the eagerness to show it to them. This is not an explanation for poor image as I am not a photographer in that sense.

During that memorable hot afternoon I saw two Kings returning from fresh water tank at good pace through grass and then searching for prey inside the bushes at the root of the tree. I could also see another large snake possibly a Rat Snake ( because its colour was like Naja Naja, not like Naja Kaoutia and Naja Naja is normally not seen at that place) crossing the clearing in the opposite direction at break-neck speed.

Mrudul Godbole
10-10-2015, 12:41 PM
Sighting two cobras at a time is amazing. Its great that you could sight and photograph it before it entered the bush. The marking can be seen in the second photograph. It might be a guide who pushed you, as he might be wanting to impress the group of foreigners by showing the cobras :(. Thanks for sharing.

Sabyasachi Patra
14-10-2015, 07:13 PM
Since I had the opportunity to hear your narration about this incident on the spot, albeit several years later, I can recount the story without looking at the images. I keep all such stories in my memory bank, hoping that one day I may be as fortunate. It reminded me of the person trying to come close to us when we were at the same watch tower. That also reminds me about that other significant sighting. May be I will post it for record.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi