PDA

View Full Version : A male crab spider?

Prajwal J Ullal
14-10-2015, 08:31 PM
Spotted this really small crab spider hidden among the dry translucent type flower. Despite its small size the beauty was keen to catch some early morning prey.

EXIF:
Canon 550D
Canon 100mm macro
F/11
Shutterspeed 1/100
ISO 400
Handheld, Inbuilt flash used

Abhishek Jamalabad
14-10-2015, 09:00 PM
Nice find. Thomissidae, but I can't guess beyond that. Guessing the sex from its size? Or did you observe any other individuals around?

Prajwal J Ullal
14-10-2015, 09:42 PM
Had seen a mating pair few months back, initially I thought this was some small form of it, then recalled that encounter, so guessed it to be male

Sabyasachi Patra
20-10-2015, 01:58 PM
Tiny one. How did you spot this?

This also shows how amazing range of species we have from tiny to large. Getting a 1:1 magnification is not enough for these tiny creatures. You may experiment with using extension tubes if you need higher magnification.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Prajwal J Ullal
20-10-2015, 02:17 PM
Nagla block is a magical place, and have to keep my eyes and ears open all the time to spot or hear something strange. So accidentally spotted this. I did check out for extension tubes, unfortunately Kenko's autofocus capable ET costs around 13k, did come across one from Opteka's 25mm extension tube(automatic and just a single one) but just having a second thought whether to go for it now or wait for next year's monsoon session.