PDA

View Full Version : Elephant II | Bandipur

Sucheth Lingachar
16-10-2015, 10:02 AM
Photographed at Bandipur,this is same one which i have posted earlier... it was very calm and grazing it feels very good to see these huge guys in front of you and grazing with family.

Nikon D7100, Tamron 150-600 ,

F/8, 1/1600s, ISO 3200 , At 150mm

Sabyasachi Patra
16-10-2015, 10:29 AM
The sky seems to be overcast. Did you use a warm/shadow white balance in camera or during post processing?

I feel slightly more space in front as well as behind the elephant would have been better. The leaf on the right side of the frame appears to be hanging out of thin air. So more space would have helped. The arching branch looks good. Overall I like the image. Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Mrudul Godbole
16-10-2015, 02:02 PM
Was it single or in a herd? Were you able to capture any images of the full here? The raised foot for digging looks nice. When was this photographed? Thanks for sharing.

Saktipada Panigrahi
16-10-2015, 08:51 PM
Nice documentation of double twirl of the trunk.

'When the bunch of fodder consists of short grasses with stolons or sedges, the trunk is formed into a double twist near its end and then violently untwisted in the air, this move generates considerable centrifugal force and adherent debris is sent flying ; or it is dusted on the bent and raised wrist by being slapped sharply against it with a twirl of the trunk' -- observed our great teacher, M.Krishnan

Since the elephant is in the open and the grass is not long, I think, it is opting for both methods including dusting against the raised foreleg.
Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Sucheth Lingachar
20-10-2015, 09:44 AM
Thank you Saktipada Panigrahi ji for more information regarding this behavior of the Elephant...