PDA

View Full Version : Wild Breakfast_Nagzira Tiger Reserve

Samrat Sarkar
02-11-2015, 04:09 PM
Photographed in front of Niloy Forest rest-house at Nagzira...It was a fresh kill of a sambar calf in early morning..
Canon 7D + Canon 500mm f4 + Monopod
ISO 400, 1/500, f7.1...cropped from left side for vertical composition...
October, 2015

Mrudul Godbole
02-11-2015, 05:06 PM
Rare sighting of a wild dog with a sambar kill. Was there a pack or a single dhole? Did you witness the kill? The right ear of the dhole seems to be split. The image looks a bit soft to me. Did you try a horizontal composition? You can post the uncropped version to compare. Thanks for sharing.

Saktipada Panigrahi
02-11-2015, 09:18 PM
Impeccable record image of the most dreaded predator of Indian jungles. Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Debasis Bose
03-11-2015, 09:24 AM
Fabulous capture of raw nature

Roopak Gangadharan
03-11-2015, 10:44 AM
Its probably one of those moments where even as you stare in admiration at the power of the predator your heart goes out for the sambar calf.....irrespective of what one feels this is fine natural history record.

TFS
Roopak

Samrat Sarkar
03-11-2015, 03:38 PM
Thanks a lot Mrudulji, Shakti da, Debasis da and Roopak ji for your appreciating comments...
Actually I did not see the entire killing process. After spending a beautiful night in Madhukunj forest rest house we were following an alarm call of a sambar deer in the morning just in front of Niloy FRH. The kill perhaps happened at that moment somewhere up in the forest of the hill opposite us. The moment we arrived there we saw a pack of the dholes relaxing close to a small water stream and on the slope of the opposite hill, a male dhole was carrying the carcass of a freshly killed sambar calf of which only the head only remained. I thought that the male dhole would pass through a sunlit space across the road, and I preset my camera exposure accordingly. But unluckily, it passed through a shaded space. And the result was an underexposed and soft shot. The original shot was taken in a horizontal frame. I will post it later.
samrat

Sabyasachi Patra
03-11-2015, 04:55 PM
Nice to see this. though one may feel bad however the dholes need to eat as well. Nature has created carnivores to have a check on the population explosion of herbivores. Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Shyamala Kumar
07-11-2015, 10:16 AM
Great capture of a chapter in natural history.This time of the year most of the herbivores in the forests of India are accompanied by little ones,Nature's way of ensuring that there is plenty for all and yet there is enough for the survival of the species.

Dheerendra Singh
07-11-2015, 10:57 PM
Nice. .capture.

Samrat Sarkar
19-11-2015, 03:30 PM
thanks a lot sabyasachi da, Shyamala ji and Dherendra bhai for your comments...

Samrat