PDA

View Full Version : Happy World Photography Day

Anup Ranadive
19-08-2009, 10:11 PM
Unable to control my excitement after spotting this beauty (not my first one), to my utter dismay, I cut off his posterior from the camera frame, only to realise it later what I had missed. Nevertheless, felt like sharing this image on the special occasion of 'World Photography Day'.

Cheers,
Anup

Shot at Jim Corbett in Feb 2009.
Camera Model Name
Canon EOS 1000D
Tv(Shutter Speed)
1/320Sec.
Av(Aperture Value)
F5.6
Metering Modes
Split metering
Exposure Compensation
ISO Speed
Lens
Canon 100-400
Focal Length
260.0 mm

Bibhav Behera
20-08-2009, 04:52 AM
Nice image. I like the rim lighting. wish you could have included the whole body. The saturation seems high from the greens... You can tone that down a little...

Mrudul Godbole
20-08-2009, 10:21 AM
Hi Anup,

Happy World Photography Day ..!! :)

Lovely stare. Sharp. The frame is a bit tight for me, would have loved some more space. Seems it was quite close to you. Was it possible for you to zoom out further (260mm).

Look forward to more..

Sabyasachi Patra
20-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Hi Anup,
Wish you a Happy World Photography Day.

I can understand what you would be feeling at that time. Tiger generates lot of different feelings in people, from awe to fear.

In one instance, I was in a shared jeep with a few other photographers in Bandhavgarh. A huge male known by the name B1, crossed the road infront of us and then started walking towards us. The chattering photographers became silent. When B1 passed us, the distance was about 6 feet from the jeep. At that time people had stopped breathing. Only after the tiger was about 20 paces away from the jeep the other photographers realised that they didn't click. Later on one of the photographers told me that he was just awestuck. He hadn't moved or even breathed. Such is the influence of the tiger.

The experience is much more important than a great shot. You are lucky to have had a nice experience.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Anup Ranadive
20-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Sabyasachi/Mrudul,
Thanks for your comments.

Before hopping on every safari, I promise myself to keep my cool after spotting the Big guy and click good pics.
Without any exception, I've failed on every occasion. I've spotted this beauty on quite a few occasions in Bandipur, Kanha and Corbett.
This marvel of nature, has had the effect of triggering a disconnect between my brain and hands. All the settings practised rigorously go for a toss.

Thats the beauty of this animal. No regrets on not getting good pics. Simply watching it makes up for all that.

Mrudul, I could have easily zoomed out further to get a full frame shot, had I not been in a trance-like situation ;-) I'm planning for a Bangalore visit. Would love to catch up with you and Apana, if ur schedule permits.

Thanks again,
Anup

Abhishek Jamalabad
20-08-2009, 01:21 PM
Wish you all a very happy world photography day (didn't know such a day existed :-P)

Good attempt. Agree that more space all around would have been better.
I've never had a camera in my hands while watching a tiger... Though I went through a similar experience while watching dolphins at Chilika. Just switched off my camera, put it into the case and sat watching them... didn't even attempt a shot...:)

Mrudul Godbole
20-08-2009, 01:42 PM
Seeing a tiger nowadays is so rare, that whenever I see a tiger, I think that, I should make the most of it and capture the beauty in my photographs.
So with that thought, try to work out the best way to photograph it. :).

Do let me know when you are planning to come to bangalore. We can plan for a small trip. I hope Apana will be available.