PDA

View Full Version : Jungle Prinia

Debasis Bose
11-01-2016, 08:36 AM
Jungle prinia are difficult to shoot as they rarely come out in open and keep on flitting from bough to bough in dry scrub and tall grass.
This image was taken in Corbett Tiger Reserve.
Nikon, Nikor 300 f2.8, @f8, ISO 200, 1/160s - Handheld (Almost 4.3 Kg)

Sabyasachi Patra
11-01-2016, 02:46 PM
Tough situation. It is fine to handhold and get sharp images with heavy lenses. However, for that you have to anticipate and shoot like a trap shooter. Lower the lens--> relax ---> when the bird is at the right place --> breathe out and quickly raise the lens---> acquire focus and fire --> lower the lens to rest position.

I see photographers trying to imagine themselves like Arnold Schwarzenegger and keep on holding their lens and camera at shoulder height and ready to fire. One gets tired very easily by doing that and the resulting images are soft. I used to handhold my 5.3kg Canon 400mm f2.8 L IS USM lens with a 2x TC and quickly fire and get sharp shots. However, it is tough work and I used to do it only when it is a must. Better to use a support like bean bag or tripod as the chance of getting a sharp shot increases with support. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Debasis Bose
11-01-2016, 03:03 PM
Dear Sabyasachi, Thank you and your advice is so true. In certain situation you do not have the right structure for bean bag when you are on Gypsy, and the bird is just moving, then the logic of trap shooter is the best skill to give a try and capture small birds. Regards Debasis

Roopak Gangadharan
11-01-2016, 05:36 PM
Very useful hand holding tips, but i think it will take some practice to pull this off effectively....this is an ashy prinia.
TFS
Roopak

Debasis Bose
11-01-2016, 07:24 PM
Dear Roopak, Thank you for the identification. I was bit confused because there are two things which confused me between Ashy Prinia and Jungle Prinia
Matching - 1. Red Eye (Ashy Prinia) 2. Whitish tip to the tail feather (Ashy Prinia)
Do not Match - 1. Stouter Bodied with stouter bill (distinct to Jungle Prinia) 2. No Ear Coverts (in Ashy Prinia it is distinct)
Regards
Debasis