PDA

View Full Version : View from banks of cauvery

Subramanya Shankar
23-08-2009, 08:36 AM
Hi All

The following snap was taken from the banks of cauvery near sangam which is a popular tourist spot 100kms from bangalore
The EXIF Details are given
Camera:Canon EOS 40D
Lens: Canon 10-22mm
Aperture: f/10
Shutter Speed: 1/200
ISO:100

Bibhav Behera
23-08-2009, 09:32 AM
Hi Subramanya,
A good scene visualisation but the light is too contrasty.
Wonder how the sky(Read clouds) got overexposed with the foreground still underexposed at the same time.. furthering the level of contrasty light present.

Maybe you could try an HDR image to try and get details in all the luminosity ranges...

Good composition nevertheless...
TFS

Subramanya Shankar
23-08-2009, 09:35 AM
Bhibhev , i have set the contrast , Color,Sharpness to max which may explain the under and over exposure. I'll reset it to default and check how the shot comes out next time

Rahul Parekh
23-08-2009, 09:56 PM
beautiful scene...but as Bibhav said too much contrast... :)

Sabyasachi Patra
23-08-2009, 10:12 PM
Subramanya,
The clouds have got burnt and lost details. What time of the day was this photographed? Are you shooting in RAW or jpeg? If you are shooting in Raw then the default settings should not matter. If you can share how you are postprocessing, then may be we will be able to visualise better.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Subramanya Shankar
24-08-2009, 07:52 AM
Hi Sabyasachi

I shoot in RAW. I have set the picture style in 40d to landscape with the following settings
Contrast : 4
Sharpness : 7
Color saturation : 4
Color tone : 4
I am also using Adobe RGB as my color space , as i need more colors.
Regarding post processing , i just increased the sharpness in DPP and nothing more.
This shot was taken in the afternoon around 1.00 PM

Sabyasachi Patra
24-08-2009, 10:20 AM
Subramanya,
The picture styles won't affect your RAW images.

When you are clicking, check the histogram. The histogram has values from 0 to 255. If the graph touches the right side, then your bright areas would lose details. Check if the highlight warning is on in your camera. When you preview your image, you can see that the portions that are overexposed would blink. You can then take corrective measures.

It is better to click during early morning or late evening, to get the best light for your images.

Sagar Patil
25-08-2009, 12:30 AM
Many things are there in this frame. Hills, clouds, water, reflections, a typical south indian boat. Overall complete shot.

It would be great if you could keep horizon at center i.e. 50-50 ratio to enhance it further.

Subramanya Shankar
26-08-2009, 07:40 AM
Hi Sagar

Will try to frame the shot next time with the horizon in the center

Bibhav Behera
26-08-2009, 07:48 AM
Hi Sagar,
Like the rule of thirds for photography with distinct subjects, in landscapes too, the rule of thirds applies with the more interesting half of the image (wrt horizon usually) occupying the bigger share of the image canvas. It tends to give a more dynamic feel when the horizon is not kept in the centre. i.e not dividing the image into two halves.

Subramanya Shankar
26-08-2009, 07:54 AM
Sagar,Bhibav the place where i had been is notorious for having a strong current and there are boards telling people not to enter the water. I could get this shot while standing on the edge of the bank. I wasnt able to recompose the shot as i didnt get into the water maybe due to the fear of current :)

Bibhav Behera
26-08-2009, 08:16 AM
Haha... That's ok Subramanya... No need to endanger yourself for a shot... :)

Sagar Patil
26-08-2009, 02:03 PM
Hi Bibhav, Rule Of Thirds depends on your point of attraction in the photo. In this case, if the boat is point of attraction then it is fairly obeying ROT.
But if you see a photo like this where we have Lake water and Sky (both are equally important) also a reflection. So in this case it would look good in 50-50 ratio.

Here, the water-grass and algae is unnecessarily taking extra space in foreground.

Anyways, experts can light good on this. Its just my personal opinion :). Bibhav, Pls don't mind.

Abhishek Jamalabad
27-08-2009, 02:20 PM
Good image, but agree abt the contrast being too much...
I agree that there are certain landscapes which look good with the horizon in the centre...
however in this case I like the inclusion of foreground elements, if the exposure had been correct, I feel they would have added to the image.
I suppose that is up to one's personal tastes though...:)

Shivang Mehta
01-09-2009, 08:43 AM
I love the composition....
Exposure can be corrected and would help in enhancing this photo

Subramanya Shankar
01-09-2009, 12:53 PM
Hi Shivang

Thanks for the compliments.