PDA

View Full Version : Drinking the morning coolness on a summer day - A herd of Sambar deer, TATR

Subhash Shrivastava
05-02-2016, 03:23 PM
Canon SX60 HS, 1/250, f/5.6, 49 mm, ISO-100. Almost full Frame. Basic PP in GIMP.
Clicked in TATR on 20-Apr-15.
A herd of Sambar deer on a summer morning, taking a drink when it is still balmy.

Mrudul Godbole
05-02-2016, 03:34 PM
Nice behaviour captured. One can see how the herd is keeping watch turn by turn. Some are drinking while others are alert. Is there a slight tilt? Thanks for sharing.

Saktipada Panigrahi
05-02-2016, 06:35 PM
Nice image. The Sambar on the right has good antlers, notable also for long brow tines. The behaviour of Sambar is very interesting.
They are less gregarious, here we see so many because they have assembled to quench thirst during summer. I have seen five in a party near a jheel on a hot afternoon in the March-end in Kaziranga. Thanks for sharing. SaktiWild

Debasis Bose
05-02-2016, 07:31 PM
Wonderful frame. The sambar on the extreme right must have survived a predator attack, the scar above the hind legs tells the story. Thanks for sharing

Sabyasachi Patra
11-02-2016, 12:20 PM
In Ranthambhore several years back I had seen a total of 23 sambars. That was in summer. Many of them were resting in the afternoon sun.

The image has lost a bit of details, probably because of editing and the grasses look more sharpened. Guess the focus may be slightly behind the sambars? Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Saktipada Panigrahi
20-02-2016, 04:10 PM
During heavy rains, Sambar are evidently unable to utilise their acute sense of hearing and at times they come out of the forest and stand immobile in the open ground instead of seeking cover. A large congregation then takes place. This peculiar behaviour*, I was fortunate to observe in Ranthambhore on Oct 4, 2009 during morning downpour for about 4 hours. Kind regards, SaktiWild

* M.Krishnan

Subhash Shrivastava
25-02-2016, 02:30 PM
Dear Mrudul, Saktida, Debasis, Sabya sir, for viewing and sharing your opinion and feedback. The Sambhar sightings are quite good in TATR, groups of 4 to 6 members comprising of kids, adult males and females are not uncommon . Also the bulky lone stags.