PDA

View Full Version : Golden Eagle?

Shyamala Kumar
19-04-2016, 05:59 PM
While coracling down the cauvery I espied a flock of woolly necked cranes in some rocky shallows.While trying to get one into focus I saw this eagle descend and perch high above on one of the distant trees. Even at a distance I was impressed by its size.I took a few quick shots and just as I looked down to make some adjustments to the camera settings he had disappeared as if he had never been there.At first I thought it was A Tawny Eagle,but was a little doubtful. Again if it was a Golden eagle what was it doing so far from the Himalayas its natural habitat ?Nikon 7100+200-500 F/6.3 ISO800 1/2000s March 2016.Experts please comment.

Roopak Gangadharan
20-04-2016, 01:28 PM
Certainly not a golden eagle. looks like immature tawny, but the legs look tightly feathered. on zooming in the nostril looks oval/ elongated (u can check that in the original) in which case it is a tawny.
Rgds
Roopak

Mrudul Godbole
21-04-2016, 12:21 PM
Nice sighting. Good eye contact. Slight more space on the top would be nice. Its good that you can quickly capture photographs in a spur of moment. Thanks for sharing.

Sabyasachi Patra
27-04-2016, 04:37 PM
Whenever I see a raptor, I always want to see a prey in its talons. Hope you get a tawny eagle with snake in your next visit. These are fascinating birds. It would have been nice if we would have got a more side on view. It is always better to capture some quick shots, even if the bird is far off. Who knows, we can at times see some unusually wandering migrant. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi