PDA

View Full Version : The caller in the woods

Prajwal J Ullal
19-07-2016, 08:20 PM
ID: Grey Hornbill

While loitering along the outskirts of monsoon drenched Hubli, I started hearing loud screeching calls from the distance. When I started moving towards the source of sound I started spotting some movement along the top end of the tree and later realized that it was a huge Grey Hornbill giving out calls, probably to another hornbill. Since it was a cloudy evening and the sun peeking thru the clouds from the back side of the hornbill, I tried to capture the moment in silhouette form.

EXIF:
Canon 550D
Canon 55-250 IS
F/9
Shutterspeed 1/4000
ISO 400(Just shifted from capturing an elusive Painted lady butterfly, so didnt/ cudnt change the ISO)
Handheld

Mrudul Godbole
20-07-2016, 11:27 AM
The silhouette looks nice. The left part of the frame is very bright. You can try to reduce the highlights. Maybe using a -ve exposure compensation would have helped. Thinking if moving bit more to the left would have helped to avoid/reduce the bright part on the left. Thanks for sharing.

Sabyasachi Patra
22-07-2016, 12:09 PM
I agree that the burnt out sky is a distraction. At what focal length did you click this? Have you already cropped the image? If you could have moved a bit to you left to minimise the bright sun, then it could have been better. A longer focal length would also help in this situation. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi