PDA

View Full Version : Red vented bulbul (Pycnonotus cafe) baby.

Dheerendra Singh
01-09-2016, 07:55 PM
Nikon D3D200
18-55mm
ISO 400
Aperture 9
Shutter speed 1/200sec.

Dheerendra Singh
01-09-2016, 08:21 PM
Please ignore scientific name mistake(Pycnonotus cafer)

Abhishek Jamalabad
01-09-2016, 08:57 PM
Hi Dheerendra,

Please note that we generally refrain from photographing young birds (chicks or fledglings), eggs, or nests. This could disturb the birds to the point of interfering with normal parental care, and can draw the unnecessary attention of people and predators to the site. Additionally, (though not every photographer chooses to follow this rule) it is good to avoid nesting/breeding grounds altogether.

You were using an 18-55mm lens, so you seem to have gone dangerously close to the bird. Moreover, you seem to have used flash. This can be highly damaging to the bird, especially a young one.

Dheerendra Singh
01-09-2016, 11:49 PM
Abhishek ,
It image clicked from my window.just near a tree branch.I should not have flesh fired its my fault.it was rainy day .The light was not very good.you can see this another image i did not disturb this bird.Thanks for your great advise. i will remember.

Dheerendra Singh
01-09-2016, 11:56 PM
Mumma bulbul feeding food.

Dheerendra Singh
02-09-2016, 10:01 AM
It is a matter of discussion.
Does Flash photography harm animal...?
Please see this Article-
http://www.naturettl.com/does-flash-photography-harm-animals/

Saktipada Panigrahi
02-09-2016, 10:24 AM
Wonderful. The 'Red Oleander' or 'Rakta Karabi' flower plant has added immense value. Its soft stem and beautiful flowers attract insects. Red-vented Bulbul is a regular visitor to this plant. Thanks for sharing. SaktiWild

P.S. : Flash may cause temporary or permanent damage to eyes particularly in the babies. Why do we advise our children not to study for long hours in LED light ? Anything which is not natural or which has even distant potential of causing harm should be avoided in Nature photography. We are intruders, not the birds or animals.
Kind regards,
SaktiWild

Sabyasachi Patra
03-09-2016, 01:39 PM
Normally we don't encourage photography of birds feeding their young because people don't realise and move close to the birds nest. In this case, you were shooting from your window and hence there won't be any disturbance.

Flash can cause momentary blindness for both animals, birds as well as humans. In dim lit situations, our eyes dilate and in those conditions a sudden bright lightening (flash) causes problems. Instead of flash, a continuous light stream can be useful. The eyes get adjusted to that. That is one of the reasons, I stopped using flash in my photography in 2008. Using continuous light stream (torch or search light) on nocturnal animals is revealing of their ways. I have spent many nights trying to film nocturnal wildlife under lights both in visible spectrum as well as infrared lights. Many animals and birds can sense the infrared light.

As Sakti da has said, we are all intruders into their territory. So we should always remember that fact. First and foremost comes the welfare of the species.

While photographing the principle one should follow is : "If in doubt, leave it out".

Dheerendra Singh
04-09-2016, 08:51 PM
Sakti da,sabya sir,
Thanks a lot for your advise.