PDA

View Full Version : Striped necked Mongoose

Uday Kiran
10-11-2016, 08:32 PM
This guy was busy in collecting the insects and whenever it lifts its head, either it turns right or left. Quite unpredictable to compose. However, I was happy that atleast I got the eye focused. I was lucky to get a better light for 15 mins. after a heavy spell of rain, although the rain started again later. I couldn't zoom out as well since there was a stick in front and a small plant distracting the frame. Taken in Bandipur NP.

Aperture: 5.6f
Shutter Speed: 1/640s
ISO: 1250
Focal length: 400mm
Exp comp: -2/3ev
WB: 5600k
Aperture priority Hand held.
Camera: 7d mark ii
Lens: EF 100-400mm IS

V S Sankar
10-11-2016, 09:46 PM
Very nice and sharp image.I am eager to know where you spotted them!During our last trip to Kabini we spotted quite a few of them.

Uday Kiran
10-11-2016, 10:25 PM
Thank you Sankar.

Not sure exactly. May be it's near the semi evergreen patch towards Mudumalai. But, they were everywhere. Since, they feed on small insects(when it's not snakes) and in monsoon various insects come up and I guess that might be the reason they were seen good in number. But, again it depends, there were days when I haven't noticed one single mongoose during safari.

Sabyasachi Patra
12-11-2016, 07:46 PM
They keep on moving in search of food and are quite active. So if you need to compose with say more space on the right and expect the mongoose to look in that direction, then you need to wait. Did you click a vertical composition? Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Uday Kiran
12-11-2016, 09:37 PM
That composition technique was really helpful. Thank you sir. :-)

No, I did not take the vertical one.

Mrudul Godbole
13-11-2016, 02:03 PM
Those teeth can do lot of damage. Liked the eye contact. Next time just wait for the right moment and you will get the composition you want. Thanks for sharing.

Samrat Sarkar
16-11-2016, 08:41 AM
Superb shot..I like the pose... TFS

Samrat