PDA

View Full Version : The Ideal Camera

Rajan Kanagasabai
30-08-2009, 10:25 PM
Recently, one of the Cellular majors (i think it was Motorolla) ran a contest at my daughter's school on what the students felt were the ideal features that they would expect in a new generation mobile phone. Needless to say, creativity and imagination did run wild and the expectations were from rank ridiculous to amazing ingenuinity. Some of the features were imaginative like -interchangabel lenses for the camera mobile, the 3G and GSM capability in the same phone etc.

Was wondering if we could run a similar thread across our members, get a collective set of responses, and possibly provide a feedback to the camera majors (Canon & Nikon) to explore possibilities of integrating them into their later models. This way, we not only provide constructive feedback from the field, but also draw attention to Indiawilds by these large manufacturers, thereby positioning ourselves as one of the leading Wildlife photography discussion forums. Let me have your views . . .

For starters, this would be my wish list, which others can add to:

- Biometric & password enabled security (to protect against theft)
- Wifi, USB & Blue tooth Connectivity
- Multi card slots (at least dual)
- Tethered shooting to external storage (Wifi, USB or Bluetooth ?)
- Infrared sensor for patch and image sync
- External mirror lockup button
- Program mode with RAW
- Higher exposure bracketing (10+ frames)

regards
Rajan

Bibhav Behera
31-08-2009, 01:26 AM
1. Awesome noise handling upto ISO 3200
2. External Mirror Lockup Button
3. Bluetooth and wifi
4. Blur Cancellation (after image is taken... wonder how though)
5. Complete dust sealing of camera bodies.

Vikram Gupchup
31-08-2009, 12:29 PM
Megazoom compact with a large sensor.
28-400 lens with stabilisation
hot shoe and flash sync upto 1/500
Swivel lcd
manganese body
no scene modes! just P,S,A,M
manual zoom operation
should run on AA cells
Minimum shutterlag

Mrudul Godbole
01-09-2009, 03:21 PM
- More battery power. Good indicators of the battery power left (E.g :- 30 mins more).
- Sensors for movement of the camera.
- Water proof body (alteast rain water).
- Indication of lost sharpness, when an image is taken. (As highlights are indicated)

Sagar Patil
01-09-2009, 06:43 PM
- Full frame in PnS (as Vikram said).
- Inbuilt GPS (same LCD output).
- Mini Keyboard (like in PDA) to Enter place/details of subject for a photo.
- Inbuilt Subject Motion Sensor for shutter, instead of remote.
- Sunlight Power Generation Cell option for in-field charging in emergency.
- Lightweight lenses for SLRs
- More to come, thinking.....:D

Dipankar Mazumdar
02-09-2009, 05:19 PM
1D mark III at Rs. 5000/- and EF 400 f/2.8 IS L at Rs 7500/-..........:D, In case this "feature" is provided, can live with the rest of the short comings..:cool:

Sabyasachi Patra
04-09-2009, 10:52 PM
Interesting thread. This seriously makes us think. I think it would be good if Canon can give us the following.

1. SECURITY:
Rajan's suggestion of biometric security is definitely worth considering. However, that means your daughter can't access your camera. I am sure we can enable or switch off this feature when required.

2. Touch screen interface: After using the touch screen interface in my N97 mobile, I think our much more costlier cameras can also use those. I don’t think this would be a problem.

3. Distance information: At present we don’t know the distance of the subject from us. It seems this information is recorded in the image but we don’t see it. One can see this information in breeze browser. That means, definitely the camera is recording the distance. It should show up in the exif files as well as visually.

4. Depth of Field Calculator: Too often people don’t realise the depth of field required for a particular scene. A small programme can easily calculate the depth of field. Since the distance information is recorded, lens, camera, aperture setting is known, so the depth of field should be automatically calculated and flashed to the photographer.

5. FILE NAMING:There should be a feature to set the file naming as per individual requirement. At the moment we download the photos and then rename those. Ofcourse, it doesn't take much of time, but it is better to set it once and for all in the camera. Details of Artist, copyright info should also be done in the camera.

6. Auto ISO feature should detect the shake during handholding and increase the shutter speed accordingly via increase in ISO. For eg. When I use a 400mm lens and when I use 800mm, then vibrations during handholding will be different. The sensor unit should be able to detect it.

7. Auto focus – eye controlled as well as touch screen enabled: The eye controlled autofocus would be good. The autofocus should also be enabled by touch screen. That would be faster to set than the present joystick. For people who are not aware, Canon had introduced the eye controlled Autofocus in the EOS 3 and EOS 30 models in the film days.

8. The Autofocus limiter switch in the lens often is inaccessible or takes time to access when it is on a bean bag. There should be provision to set from the camera as well (over riding the current setting).

9. Batterylevel: The camera should calculate and tell us how long the battery will last taking into consideration the temperature. For eg. In cold weather, the battery lasts for a short time. It would be good if it can indicate. When I was in Finland and shooting during snowfall, I was not sure as to how long the battery will last, as I normally don’t photograph in that kind of weather.

10. Standard Chargers for all brands: I know it is not easy. However, common standards should be evolved for common chargers across companies and brands.

11. Common RAW file standard across brands. It is not a problem for me, but I think people who use multiple brands would be facing a problem

12. Weight: It would be great if Canon can reduce the weight. Carrying my 400 f2.8 L IS during a trek is virtually impossible. I guess that lens was designed keeping in mind Arnold Schwarzenegger. :D

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Sabyasachi Patra
10-09-2009, 01:44 PM
I just found that Canon has announced touch screen interface in one of their compact cameras in PowerShot Digital ELPH camera. :cool:

Ashvary Jain
13-09-2009, 07:50 AM
1D mark III at Rs. 5000/- and EF 400 f/2.8 IS L at Rs 7500/-..........:D, In case this "feature" is provided, can live with the rest of the short comings..:cool:

This will possibly happen when the monthly income of a common guy becomes Rs 800-900...

Thus the situation will same as that of now.....:D

Ashvary Jain
13-09-2009, 07:55 AM
Universal Lens Mount...

No Canon mount Nikon mount lens funda........
Be free to use any lens....