PDA

View Full Version : A tusker walks down the magical, mystical Devasthali, Similipal

Aditya Panda
16-01-2009, 04:53 PM
PENTAX K 10D
PENTAX smc-P DA* 300mmF4 ED(IF) SDM + Promaster Spectrum 7 1.7X TC
Focal Length: 510mm (300mm X 1.7)
Tv: 1/50 sec
Av: f/4 (effective f/6.8)
Ev: -0.3 Ev
ISO: 200
Mode: Aperture Priority
Flash: Did not fire

This image was made in Devasthali in the Upper Barhakamuda Range of Similipal Tiger Reserve and proposed National Park. The Upper Barhakamuda Range, just about manages do justice to a bit of the original glory that Similipal was. I was fortunate enough to have this place all to myself for a week on foot during the recent tiger census. Although I had a dream time in that week with some once in a lifetime wildlife experiences, some glaring conservation issues in the park also became evident including the reasons behind the long propagated myths about why Similipal's tigers are 'invisible' and why the other wildlife is nocturnal. What was satisfying is that the park still has enormous potential and a little bit of effective administration can easily bring it back to its original self- 3000 sq kms of tiger and elephant country in a grand and unique sal forest that can be matched by none! But more of that later.

Regards,
Aditya

Sabyasachi Patra
19-01-2009, 02:49 PM
Aditya,
Good to see one from Similipal. I have had some nice experiences in Similipal starting from the time I was learning photography in a manual SLR. Look forward to read your account.

Aditya Panda
23-01-2009, 07:47 PM
Aditya,
Good to see one from Similipal. I have had some nice experiences in Similipal starting from the time I was learning photography in a manual SLR. Look forward to read your account.

Thanks. Will post my account soon. Would love to see your photographs from those days. So few images of Orissa's wildlife online...