PDA

View Full Version : Sloth Bear

Shyamala Kumar
29-12-2016, 11:02 AM
Driving from Masinagudi to Bandipur we pass through an interesting stretch of forest.Foraging on the side in the open were two sloth bears.This sighting seemed almost unbelievable.Unfortunately neither of them raised their heads but kept their noses diligently on the ground and snuffled along accompanied by a coterie of mynas . Since this was the Ooty highway it was impossible to halt more the a few seconds as our stationary vehicle, invited a barrage of honking and a few raised eyebrows. This was the best I could manage amidst the din:cursing::sneaky2: One reason for their boldness could be the almost drought like conditions in these forests.Nikon7100+150-600mm F/8 ISO1000 1/1000 FL350mm late morning Dec 2016.

Subhash Shrivastava
31-12-2016, 09:11 PM
Nice and lucky sighting of a Sloth bear on the roadside. Jungle Mynas (that itself is a significant sighting) are following the bear :). This year that part of India has been left out by rain gods :(. May be some showers in winter should help. Thanks for sharing.

Saktipada Panigrahi
01-01-2017, 03:11 PM
Sloth Bear spends a lot of time in finding insects, fruits or small tidbits that it loves. Not concerned about surroundings. Nice representative picture. Thanks for sharing. SaktiWild

Sabyasachi Patra
02-01-2017, 04:07 PM
I have seen sloth bears in masinagudi in the evenings while returning. I was told one can easily sight them in the night around the various resorts. We had a sighting during the day time while on a trek. However, by the time I lowered my camera from my shoulder, the sloth bear vanished.

I have seen many times sloth bears sleeping by the road side in Odisha. However, now I am told that these sightings have become extremely rare.

Debasis Bose
02-01-2017, 06:55 PM
One needs to be extremely fortunate to have such a sighting. Nice documentation and can imagine the honking on the Ooty highway. Thanks for sharing

Mrudul Godbole
03-01-2017, 04:17 PM
Ooty highway can be extremely crowded especially during holiday season. You are lucky to sight them so close to the roadside and that to in the day time. Seem like young ones in search of food. Nicely captured. Thanks for sharing.